powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was searching at an old mansion that had been converted into a school that has since been closed. I pulled a lot of more recent pocket change out. I then came across a hit that looked like a Quarter but as I dug my machine went into overload aside started seeing rust. I figured it was just junk but just couldn't pull it out of the ground. I kept digging and this is what I found. It's bolted into concrete on 4 sides. It's raised off the concrete by about an inch. The latch/handle thing on top moves but I can't get it out of the ground. Should I try harder or leave it. It was pretty far from the house. uploadfromtaptalk1468082811271.jpguploadfromtaptalk1468082823404.jpguploadfromtaptalk1468082830761.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My first thought was a pet grave thing...the guy wire base makes sense, but at a private home? I dunno. I'm stumped, what or who is under there? ;)

Could it be an old septic tank cover?
Good idea about the septic tank cover. I was thinking a well. I highly doubt it's a grave as that's not a cross that's on top.

Upvote 0
I'm not buying the septic tank cover idea. Who in their right mind would use steel bolts and nuts to hold a cover down and then bury it? It would be a pain in the butt to reopen later. Take a steel probe (if possible) and see if you hit a tank below. It can't be buried deep at all. There's probably nothing under the steel cover but I'd just have to know for sure. My nickel is it's a base/anchor for a large playground item.

Cut'em off and look. :occasion14:

Upvote 0
I'm not buying the septic tank cover idea. Who in their right mind would use steel bolts and nuts to hold a cover down and then bury it? It would be a pain in the butt to reopen later. Take a steel probe (if possible) and see if you hit a tank below. It can't be buried deep at all. There's probably nothing under the steel cover but I'd just have to know for sure. My nickel is it's a base/anchor for a large playground item.

Cut'em off and look. :occasion14:

The idiot that built my house. :BangHead:

The playground thing makes sense. I bet there are a few more close by.

Upvote 0
I'm totally buying the spring horse. 1) it was a playground I found it in and 2) they are dangerous and it makes sense the horse would have been removed. 3) given how well it's cemented in, I would have decided to leave the base under the sand given how difficult it would have been to remove.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking NHB is on the right track. Yeah! spring horse, elephant, goose or what ever ??.. That's what that anchor plate is for.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• playground mount.jpg
    playground mount.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 50
  • playground unkown.jpg
    playground unkown.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 56
  • playground horse.jpg
    playground horse.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
This is SOLVDED. You all are awesome.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back