powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was searching at an old mansion that had been converted into a school that has since been closed. I pulled a lot of more recent pocket change out. I then came across a hit that looked like a Quarter but as I dug my machine went into overload aside started seeing rust. I figured it was just junk but just couldn't pull it out of the ground. I kept digging and this is what I found. It's bolted into concrete on 4 sides. It's raised off the concrete by about an inch. The latch/handle thing on top moves but I can't get it out of the ground. Should I try harder or leave it. It was pretty far from the house. uploadfromtaptalk1468082811271.jpguploadfromtaptalk1468082823404.jpguploadfromtaptalk1468082830761.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Well I certainly DON"T know what you've found.... But yea TRY HARDER! You've got to find out what's under it.... ???

Upvote 0
Guy wire anchor?

pigguywiremount.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Descent theory. What about a well cover?

Maybe. I say cover it up and keep hunting. If you find another one it is likely a guy wire anchor. If not, call it a well cover. Either way it's not worth spending time and energy on it...

Upvote 0
How far is "pretty far"?

That's interesting. Would probably be best to leave it alone and do some more research. Also, is this land you have permission on? Public land?

Wish I could send you some of our rain!! Looks like the ground there could use it. :laughing7:

Upvote 0
It was a good 50 yards from the house/school and located under sand placed there to make a playground. As far as permission goes it's my towns land and there were no gates or signs. What they did to this mansion to renovate it to a school is a sin.

Upvote 0
8 inches

Upvote 0
Pandora's Box or better yet a time capsule that was forgotten. :dontknow: I'd swing a sledge hammer at the bolts sideways like your hitting a golfball. They should just snap off I would think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pandora's Box or better yet a time capsule that was forgotten. :dontknow: I'd swing a sledge hammer at to bolts sideways like your hitting a golfball. They should just snap off I would think?

Even a cordless drill (full battery) and a cutting grinder disc would make short work of it. If you were near I'd just give you one.... I must have over a 100 of them!

Upvote 0
I think it is a base for a pole lamp. The hook side is so you could lower or raise the pole by tilting it without it sliding off of the base.

Upvote 0
It was a good 50 yards from the house/school and located under sand placed there to make a playground. As far as permission goes it's my towns land and there were no gates or signs. What they did to this mansion to renovate it to a school is a sin.

Might be an anchor from an old swingset or merry-go-round - something like that. Looks like the piece might have had cables going through, locking them in place.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back