What the heck was this???

Henry Smoot

May 19, 2006
Charleston SC
Ok, you guys have been so good, I thought I would throw this one in there. I found this at home site that dates to 1701. The outside of this is somewhat ornate and made of heavy brass. I belive the thing on the end is copper. It is also hollow on the inside. This item was very deep and has a dark patina leading me to believe that it has been in the ground for a while...Thanks much...Henry

Attachments

• 2feb2008 006.jpg
    2feb2008 006.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 858
I don't know what it is. Looks like a drill bit kind of thing. Someone on here will figure it out. Smart bunch we have here.

Congrats on your find.

HH,
Pepper

Upvote 0
Looks like part of a light rod system they put in old houses. This could have been the grounding rod in the ground.

Daryl

Upvote 0
IF I had to figure out a use for it, I would send heat through it and wrap metal around it to form a spring.

Upvote 0
It's not a concrete drill big although it does look like one in this picture. I am pretty familiar with those. It is also made of brass. I will add a closer one. It is not threaded either. It has some very fine little lines almost as if made by an engraver.

Attachments

• 2feb2008 008.jpg
    2feb2008 008.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 665
  • 2feb2008 009.jpg
    2feb2008 009.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 672
Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
Hey, hey, hey, check out this thread. I think the pipe in the 4th photo in the link below is your thing. You have a pipe stem. I've pasted the photo for you.

Being a pipe smoker I can testify as an expert witness that a brass pipe stem it would not likely be. It would be painfully hot almost as soon as lit (either to hold or place in your lips). It would also wear or chip the enamel off your teeth!

I like the spring mandrel idea of EggyOG. It looks very deliberately scalloped and that would give it some grip on the spring rod as formed.

Upvote 0
Might be part of a steering mechanism for a tractor, toy car, etc. I know jeeps (50-60ish) had a steering box with one of the components very similar to that. Steel bearings would run in the grooves, and grease would lubricate the entire thing. I doubt its from an automobile, as its too thing and long. It could be from some other type of engine though, tractor, old go kart?

Upvote 0
19th century serving spoon or ladle handle.

Just my guess...

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back