🔎 UNIDENTIFIED what the heck is this?

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found on a beach near early 1600's village with fort. could be modern or old i really have no idea. what the heck is this thing?:icon_scratch:
C2D9E909-4F3C-4523-BD71-F36425F0DB0D.jpeg

Upvote 0
Looks crudely cast to me, like a home job. I can imagine pouring or spilling the molten metal into a rounded depression in the ground and then impressing its top with a square piece of sheet metal just as the melted metal cooled and solidified. Maybe just for fun. Could it be lead or pewter?

Upvote 1
Looks crudely cast to me, like a home job. I can imagine pouring or spilling the molten metal into a rounded depression in the ground and then impressing its top with a square piece of sheet metal just as the melted metal cooled and solidified. Maybe just for fun. Could it be lead or pewter?
Yeah that was one of the things that was odd to me. The front is so crude and doesnt really have a shape to it. Yet the back has an almost perfect square with the other piece that fits in. I dont think its lead its not soft at all. you cant dent or scratch it. could be pewter i guess. but isnt pewter also kind of soft?

Upvote 1
I guess pewter varies in hardness because there are different proportions of metals in different types of it. But pewter generally is quite a bit harder than lead. It typically has a low melting point and settlers were able to cast items like buttons and spoons from it at home.

Upvote 2
Two metals with different melting temperatures that were in a fire?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back