What the heck are these things?????

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a half of one, but know several people that have found whole ones. They are made of copper or brass, and all of them were found in a farm field, although not the same one. I'm sure other people have found them also, and I'm hoping someone will be able to ID them. None of us can. :dontknow:

002.JPG

Shutter latches

Dig until your arm falls off

Upvote 0
The items you found are from a sickel bar. They are called teeth that sometimes break when the hit rocks ect.. They are what cuts the hay or wheat on a combine or hay machine. Hopes this helps.

Upvote 0
The items you found are from a sickel bar. They are called teeth that sometimes break when the hit rocks ect.. They are what cuts the hay or wheat on a combine or hay machine. Hopes this helps.

Sickle bars don't have brass teeth, they are made from steel. I think Recon is right, shutter latches.

Upvote 0
My first thought was a clock escapement. They are made of brass and about the right size:

anchor-escapement.jpg

But I can't think of a scenario where you'd fine multiple examples in multiple farm fields without finding brass clock wheels, plates, weights, etc.
Good luck on this one!

Upvote 0
I used to put a couple of hundred ton of hay up every year, and I've never seen one of those on a sickle bar mowing machine or the type of hay baler I owned. But it looks like a cog that kind of tick tocs, perhaps a counter of some sort. There was a bale counter on my baler, but it didn't work with one of those. What are they farming in the fields that you find them. I'm asking because it might be off a machine unique to a certain crop.

Upvote 0
Looks like a piece from an old electrical device, (transformer, coil, armature winding). Have seen them before in the scrap bin at the yard, but just can't put a finger on the exact part.

Upvote 0
Shutter latch I think
Here are some broken brass ones I have found

Attachments

• image-3166316759.jpg
    image-3166316759.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image-505689621.jpg
    image-505689621.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1038396295.jpg
    image-1038396295.jpg