What Kind of Sand Scoop Do You Use and Where Did You Get It?

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has probably been asked before but I'm curious. I was going to order one but couldn't decide and waited too long before our Florida trip. Would have been nice to have down there. My carrot pinpointer didn't work in salt water so I stuck to the dry sand.

Anyways we have lots of beaches on Lake Michigan and inland too. Some very sandy and others pretty rocky. Looking for one that would work on both hopefully.

So what do you use? Where is it from? How much was it? Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Upvote 0
Sure looks stronger than the proposed handle......which I would break the first time out.
Thanks Cuda! Yeah well just have to see about the pvc. I've seen Kurt from the Hoover Boys use pvc so well just have to see what happens. Short work day for me tomorrow. Planning on hitting a 30s swim beach in the river after work hopefully. Been saving this spot for years. Hopefully never been detected before.

Thanks Cuda! Yeah well just have to see about the pvc. I've seen Kurt from the Hoover Boys use pvc so well just have to see what happens. Short work day for me tomorrow. Planning on hitting a 30s swim beach in the river after work hopefully. Been saving this spot for years. Hopefully never been detected before.
Highly advise you take a backup scoop with you if you travel very far at all. Speaking from experience, it sucks to break a scoop while detecting after driving very far to go detecting. I now always bring 2 scoops and at least 2 detectors when I detect beaches.

Highly advise you take a backup scoop with you if you travel very far at all. Speaking from experience, it sucks to break a scoop while detecting after driving very far to go detecting. I now always bring 2 scoops and at least 2 detectors when I detect beaches.
Thanks for the tip Trez. Fortunately this spot is 5 minutes from my house. If I were to beak the scoop I have 130 acres of park to swing in. However I do have 2 detectors and 2 pinpointers on deck ready to go 👍

Love the Hoover Boys water hunting. But.... Every time I watch Kurt use that PVC handle scoop I cringe..

Lowes hardware has a post hole digger handle 20 dollars. Fiber glass, works great... you would have to put a smaller handle mount/tube on the scoop.

Good Luck at your spot also. I just hit a out of the blue spot weds, totally surprised what came out.

Love the Hoover Boys water hunting. But.... Every time I watch Kurt use that PVC handle scoop I cringe..

Lowes hardware has a post hole digger handle 20 dollars. Fiber glass, works great... you would have to put a smaller handle mount/tube on the scoop.

Good Luck at your spot also. I just hit a out of the blue spot weds, totally surprised what came out.
I agree that the pvc may not have been the best choice, however it seems it may just be durable enough. I started this project with my initial investment of zero. I'm a mechanic and have unlimited access to scrap metal. Took longer than anticipated to complete, but my only investment was time and $10 for the pvc pipe. Made a sifting tray today. It was a bit more expensive than I wanted at $55 for materials but it should work out. Ran out of daylight to hit the river today, but I'm ready to go now. 👍

20240913_173318.jpg

Reactions: OBN
I agree that the pvc may not have been the best choice, however it seems it may just be durable enough. I started this project with my initial investment of zero. I'm a mechanic and have unlimited access to scrap metal. Took longer than anticipated to complete, but my only investment was time and $10 for the pvc pipe. Made a sifting tray today. It was a bit more expensive than I wanted at $55 for materials but it should work out. Ran out of daylight to hit the river today, but I'm ready to go now. 👍

View attachment 2168756
Yep, I totally understand. i had a side job working in the body shop for 10 years. I did many custom sheet metal things but nothing stamped with Toyota.. I'm going to guess you used a stick welder on the scoop.

No matter what type of scoop you choose, I always recommend
that water hunters attach a round or square magnet with a hole to the back part of the scoop with a nut, bolt & washers. This will attract and weasel out the pain-in-the-ass nails, bobby pins & other small metal objects that interfere with the good stuff. Always worked great for me with my galvanized steel scoops. You can buy some nice magnets at Home Depot for small money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back