4.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 167
Though I am no ground pounder that looks like a 60mm Mortar

Upvote 0
We had one of those.

Upvote 0
Being an Ammo troop, I handles a lot of the newer style practice bombs. They had a small charge that would be a burst of smoke to mark were the bomb hit. In the early 80's all the Ammo guys had them for door stops, Yard gnomes, or ash trays. One of the worst details was having to go to the range and collect all of them. The damaged ones where sent of to be demilled for scrap metal. That's how we would wind up with them.

Upvote 0
Dug up a bunch of them as a kid. Practice bombs. Believe Navy. Front had a primer similar to a 12 gauge. Contained smoke for marking. Back fins had a piece of tin that wrapped all the way around the fins. Ones we found were under water and had been dredged up.

Upvote 0
What I was told about the practice bombs. They set up a floating barge as a target. A hit would show up as a hit from the smoke. A miss was just a splash of water. The metal band had something to do with stacking or handling the "bomb" Think it was about 3/4" wide and quite thin. The "primer" was brass and center stuck out just bit on the tip, similar to a 12 gauge brass shell.

Upvote 0
we used them in the 60's for practice bombs, also. lot of em in Puget Sound, I bet!!!!!! where we did our practice!!!!!

Upvote 0
Being an Ammo troop, I handles a lot of the newer style practice bombs. They had a small charge that would be a burst of smoke to mark were the bomb hit. In the early 80's all the Ammo guys had them for door stops, Yard gnomes, or ash trays. One of the worst details was having to go to the range and collect all of them. The damaged ones where sent of to be demilled for scrap metal. That's how we would wind up with them.

LOL speaking of furniture, I found a discarded BSU-33 fin for a MK-82 in the Jungle on Guam. I cleaned it up and turned it into a stand alone lamp. I have no clue what i did with it but wish i had it now. As far as range clean up? dump truck loads of BDU-33 practice bombs and pounds of C-4 made it all worth the work. Ahh the good ole days!

I agree that the op has an older practice bomb.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back