✅ SOLVED What kind of buckle is this? How old is it?

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I swung over this nice complete buckle yesterday. This house site dates to the 1850s. I'm wondering what type of buckle this is and about how old it is.

The whole thing is around two inches long. The prongs move, the pin is set in two holes. The reserve side is the same but debossed, hollow.

I'm more of a bottle digger so these things aren't quite familiar to me yet. Thanks for your help!

NJ

DSCF9432c.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks vpnavy, I don't think mine is quite as old as these but this has taught me something nonetheless!

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like a suspenders buckle to me. Many in the past have had patent dates on them, which have mostly been in the 1870's-80's. But, this is a bit different than many of those, so maybe earlier?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply, Ben! I feel like you'd want a suspender buckle to be flush and smooth on the side that touches you, so that you don't get any uncomfortable rubbing or anything, but I have no idea. I'm leaning toward a boot for some reason, or maybe even something that wasn't worn, like a wallet or purse - the buckle is essentially hollow, so maybe it might not stand up to the wear and tear that a worn buckle would? Then again, a lot of the older shoe buckles are surprisingly flimsy, and a shoe would probably take the most wear and tear. I'm not sure.

Someone's got to have seen something like this before!

Upvote 0
That does look very similar! Hopefully 1870s would be a safe guess then. And I have been looking at some of the older suspender buckles and a lot of them do have a hook and ring like this one, so thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I'm really starting to like your theory.

Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
Horse tack?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back