What is this thing, is it a gage, what for?

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
It has a few number stamped on it. The item on the bottom is a suspender clip for size comparison I guess.
index.php

Re: What is this thing.

Looks very similar to a table saw gauge for setting the saw blade height.

Upvote 0

stefen said:
Looks very similar to a table saw gauge for setting the saw blade height.

You know I think you might be right. I've seen something like it before, but I just couldn't figure it out.

Thanks for your response.

Upvote 0

they use to make old trunks or chests with the brand name president it looks to maybe be the guts of the locking mechanism off one of these trunks

Upvote 0

matthewh05 said:
they use to make old trunks or chests with the brand name president it looks to maybe be the guts of the locking mechanism off one of these trunks

That's a suspender clip, but what kind of gage is this?

Attachments

• Thing 2.JPG
    Thing 2.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 434
  • Thing 3.JPG
    Thing 3.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0

I would like to agree with the saw gauge but seeing the size next
to the dime. I have several different gauges for the purpose of
setting the depth and they look just like this piece but are very
much larger. I am thinking some type of a slide lock part.

Joe

Upvote 0
Looks to me like the "ears" were meant to slide into something. I'm thinking like a plate that used to be in the old sewing machines that the needle went in.

Just a guess but the teeth aren't at right angles so i dont think its a gauge. And the little notch in the back...maybe was a pivot hinge ?

Just guessing.
Al

Upvote 0
deepskyal said:
I'm thinking like a plate that used to be in the old sewing machines that the needle went in.
Al

I had to edit this thread because garyf nailed it as being a hot lead typesetting matrix.

Upvote 0
Ant,

If you don't have a sewing machine then, like Stefen suggested you could use it for a saw depth gauge.

Tony

Attachments

• web4439.jpg
    web4439.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 0
It's a hot lead typesetting matrix ("mat") probably from an old Linotype machine. It was a type of "mold" containing one character. The Linotype machine had a keyboard and as the operator pressed the keys, the mats would fall onto a rack. When a line of type was completed, the machine injected melted lead to form the line. The lead lines were then assembled into a form which was then used in the printing process. Commercial printers and newspapers used these machines.

Attachments

• linotype_mat_3.jpg
    linotype_mat_3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 350
Upvote 0
The correct answer was here somewhere...the dime scale relationship helps make the descision.

Upvote 0
garyf said:
It's a hot lead typesetting matrix ("mat") probably from an old Linotype machine. It was a type of "mold" containing one character. The Linotype machine had a keyboard and as the operator pressed the keys, the mats would fall onto a rack. When a line of type was completed, the machine injected melted lead to form the line. The lead lines were then assembled into a form which was then used in the printing process. Commercial printers and newspapers used these machines.

We stand correct Sir. Thank you very much for your answer. You Sir deserve a, "You Nailed It With Proof".

T-Net is such a great place.

HH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back