What is this pin? "MOUS" & "We Are Seven"

Canadian Cossack

Dec 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
What is this pin? "MOUS" & "We Are Seven"

Can anybody tell me what this pin represents? It's, unmarked but I'm certain it's silver.

A quick search of the web tells me that "We Are Seven" is the title of a poem by William Wordsworth about 7 brothers and sister, two of whom die and are buried, despite this, one of the sisters continues to maintain... "We are seven".

I have no idea what the "MOUS" stands for.

Any comments apprecated, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2034_2.JPG
    IMG_2034_2.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_2035_2.JPG
    IMG_2035_2.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 821
Re: What is this pin? "MOUS" & "We Are Seven"

BuckleBoy said:
diggummup said:
Mous means soft in French. As far as any political references go all I came up with so far is this postcard.

Here is the link to it-http://tinyurl.com/2ug827 Sorry Canadian Cossack, I just seen you posted the same PC.

Two replies up, you'll see that the original poster of this thread has posted the same card!

Please read the replies. First time you get a gentle chiding. Second offense and Mona will strap you to a chair and make force you to look at Maxim magazines with ounces and ounces of gold all over them!

:)
Same goes for you. As noted at the end of my response. Responses were given as I was researching, unfortunately the "new replies while you were typing" message doesn't show photos.
Only when I read my response after I posted it, was I able to see the same PC. Which is why I apologized for posting the same photo after the fact (see last edit time). Not that I need to explain anything to you professor,however you being you I felt obligated. Read all the replies! Duh. That was my gentle chiding, next time you don't read all of my reply i'll unleash Kirkpa and zoyboy do go pee on your oak tree. ;D

Upvote 0

diggummup said:
BuckleBoy said:
diggummup said:
Mous means soft in French. As far as any political references go all I came up with so far is this postcard.

Here is the link to it-http://tinyurl.com/2ug827 Sorry Canadian Cossack, I just seen you posted the same PC.

Two replies up, you'll see that the original poster of this thread has posted the same card!

Please read the replies. First time you get a gentle chiding. Second offense and Mona will strap you to a chair and make force you to look at Maxim magazines with ounces and ounces of gold all over them!

:)
Same goes for you. As noted at the end of my response. Responses were given as I was researching, unfortunately the "new replies while you were typing" message doesn't show photos.
Only when I read my response after I posted it, was I able to see the same PC. Which is why I apologized for posting the same photo after the fact (see last edit time). Not that I need to explain anything to you professor,however you being you I felt obligated. Read all the replies! Duh. That was my gentle chiding, next time you don't read all of my reply i'll unleash Kirkpa and zoyboy do go pee on your oak tree. ;D

Oh GOD, no! LOL! Seriously though, no offense meant.

I think we're getting a little closer to figuring out what this darn thing is. A piece of rusted iron in "what is it" is one thing; a nice silver artifact is another. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

trikikiwi said:
I like BuckleBoy's thinking.

And Canadian Cossack, you've got to check it with a magnifying glass!

I had a closer look at the back of the pin and swear I can see a stamp there.

Hi Trikikiwi,

Here is an enlarged image of the back. I looked as best I can with a loup and my failing eyes, but I really can't identify recognizable marks on the back, although i do agree some of the marks you pointed out certainly looked like marks in the original image.

In this enlargment I started to look at the scratches and for a while thought it looked like handwriting, but i really think these are random scratches from being in the ground (and possibly my digging and handling afterwords).

Althought it would be really neat if there was somthing written by hand on the back!

(BTW, the rules divisions are millimeters)

Attachments

• IMG_2058_1_1.JPG
    IMG_2058_1_1.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 563
Upvote 0

Thanks for the new pic CC.
I guess I'm lucky I didn't embarrass myself by pointing out all the other writing I can see AND the two UFO's hovering in the background ;D

It sure is an intriguing little piece.

MOUS could be Mother(s) of..., or Member of....,
...Union Son(s)
...Union Society
...United Society

May Our Unity Survive ?

....just a few ideas, maybe ring someone's bell.

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

I can see a few letters here. "TKI"? TK?
PS- Buckleboy, no offense taken, LOL :)

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 552
Upvote 0

"W" just indicates that it is "Wilver". ::)

Not that it helps, but did you notice that it is a heptagon? 7 was very significant to who ever had this made...

DCMatt

Upvote 0

DCMatt said:

Not that it helps, but did you notice that it is a heptagon? 7 was very significant to who ever had this made...

DCMatt

I think I mentioned this above...

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy said:
DCMatt said:

DCMatt

I think I mentioned this above...

Regards,

Buckleboy

Not that it helps, but did you notice that I didn't read the previous postings very well?

Sorry about that Buckleboy.
:-[ :-[ :-[
DCMatt

Upvote 0

Mothers of United States (MOUS)

We are 7 is the size of the family (5 kids)

Hence 2 love hearts and 2 sevens ;D

Looks pewter to me? (lead & silver)

Upvote 0

Is there any chance that it was made from a coin? The back kind of reminds me of a love token I found once.

Upvote 0

This pin is still unidentifed, so I'm glad you folks are having a look at it.

It could have been made from a coin, at least it's the right size, but there are no "coin like" marks left showing anywheres on it.

Although not marked, I think it's silver, or at least mostly silver.

This thing has really got me stumped!

Upvote 0

Could it possibly belong to the Mi'kmaq tribe in some way. Doing some web searching they had seven tribes or areas and strongly believe (from what I read on the internet) in preserving their culture. Could MOUS be some sort of Algonquain acronym? (anyone know algonquain? :D )

Isn't Nova Scotia also divided into 7 districts, or was at one time?

Ok brain is now souplike. time to go to be before I hurt myself.

Upvote 0

Are you sure it's MOUS and not SNOW? There was this girl once, her first name was Snow, and she hung out with these seven little dwarfs. Maybe one of them lost a ring or something.

Upvote 0

EggyOG said:
Are you sure it's MOUS and not SNOW? There was this girl once, her first name was Snow, and she hung out with these seven little dwarfs. Maybe one of them lost a ring or something.

Cool thought.

Mike

Upvote 0

EggyOG said:

I like that. Of all the ideas I've heard that one appeals to me the most!

Attachments

• IMG_2034_2_1.JPG
    IMG_2034_2_1.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 0

diggummup said:
Why would the rest of the lettering be upside down as well as the hearts?

Thats because it full of mystery and romance as its a fairy tale ;D

Let us leave it there and ALL use a little imagination please :D

Upvote 0

I'm thinking that it represents the "we love each other" 7 days of the week, as the picture here suggests.

Tony

Attachments

• 7heartsen_sm.jpg
    7heartsen_sm.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back