What is this pin? "MOUS" & "We Are Seven"

Canadian Cossack

Dec 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
What is this pin? "MOUS" & "We Are Seven"

Can anybody tell me what this pin represents? It's, unmarked but I'm certain it's silver.

A quick search of the web tells me that "We Are Seven" is the title of a poem by William Wordsworth about 7 brothers and sister, two of whom die and are buried, despite this, one of the sisters continues to maintain... "We are seven".

I have no idea what the "MOUS" stands for.

Any comments apprecated, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2034_2.JPG
    IMG_2034_2.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_2035_2.JPG
    IMG_2035_2.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 821
Re: What is this pin? "MOUS" & "We Are Seven"

Hi CC,
Very nice. Looks like it could be silver. Until I do some more research, my first thought, MOUS = most of us ;D ;)

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

Hey MJ ;D, that's what I found.
I like Wordsworth. My Mum did too. I wonder if that's a clue.

Mothers Of the United States ?

Mike :)

Upvote 0

Mackaydon said:
For what it's worth:
The government uses MOUS (memos of understanding) that are agreements stronger than Gentlemen's Agreements but less than a Legal Contracts.

Thats very true... I used to Write Memorandum's of Understanding for the Gov... but... why a pin? So I discounted it... but maybe...

I'm sure it's an organization...

Upvote 0

I'm guessing it's part of a Victorian era mourning pin/jewelry.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

DCMatt said:
I'm guessing it's part of a Victorian era mourning pin/jewelry.

DCMatt

That's an interesting idea... a mourning pin of some sort... That fits with Wordsworth poem and the two hearts on it... Maybe the MOUS stands for "Memory Of U... & S..."

But I would also be pleased if it turned out to represent the "Ministry Of Unknown Science" mentioned by Montana Jim above...

Upvote 0

O.K. Here's what I have so far. I'll keep you posted if and when any new developments arise. I'll buy the mourning pin idea for a dollar--the family name could've been MOUS (there is a record of that last name back to the mid-1800's in Canada as well as in the U.S. You could see if there are any records in your area if you are interested in trying to prove or disprove the mourning pin idea). The fact that there are two hearts on your pin, connected by two number sevens, might seem to support this idea... if you find a family by that name in the right time period in your area that had seven children who reached adulthood, you might be on the right track.

But on the other hand...the pin itself seems quite similar to other pins given out for organizations in the Victorian Era. I have not seen Victorian Era mourning pins that have idealized quotations from poets placed on banners before. Usually they just have the name of the beloved and his or her dates, or just the death date, or some other bit of information, if they are personalized at all. Frequently they were made of dark stones or vulcanite in the shape of crosses, teardrops, forget-me-not flowers, etc. They could have also contained a lock of hair...

Because of the facts above, I think this pin is most likely from a society of some sort. I'll offer this bit of information: Margaret Sidney wrote a childrens' book in 1883 entitled "What the Seven Did." The gist of the story was that a group of seven girls got together and formed a Wordsworth Club of sorts, and their motto was "We Are Seven." They then went around doing charitable acts and good deeds to people. Of course, the book was fiction. But what if there was a women's organization modeled after the one in the book--which was a quite popular childhood read in its day, and pretty darn idealistic. If this were the case, I would imagine such an organization of girls or women might bear the acronym "Mothers of .....Society" In the case of the Wordsworth poem, there is no reference as to how many of the siblings are male and how many are female... I honestly would say that the banners on the pin and the use of a poetic quotation rather than personal information like a name might suggest this idea as the more likely one. The two connected hearts might symbolize unity, brotherhood, or sisterhood as well.
Notice that the pin is seven-sided as well? My hunch is that this was a piece designed for and/or by a group, with many symbolic elements inherent in its design. I do not feel that it was a piece that was individually made for the loss of a loved one.

I am assuming that this was a "dug" find? Did you find it in Nova Scotia? If so, that might give somebody a lead. (Start using Google.ca folks!)

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Thanks Buckleboy, you've given some excellent leads there.

Your Margaret Sydney lead is intriguing and I will see what else I can find out along those lines...

Yes, I dug it in Nova Scotia. Incidentally, the location where it was dug has a strong connection with Canadian Politics.

Since finding it, my curiosity has been peaked to try and identify it.

Thanks for the help and ideas!

Upvote 0

Canadian Cossack said:
Thanks Buckleboy, you've given some excellent leads there.

Your Margaret Sydney lead is intriguing and I will see what else I can find out along those lines...

Yes, I dug it in Nova Scotia. Incidentally, the location where it was dug has a strong connection with Canadian Politics.

Since finding it, my curiosity has been peaked to try and identify it.

Thanks for the help and ideas!

Sure thing. I'll start investigating the politics route too. You may have access to more information there than I can get a hold of here. Keep us posted!

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Montana Jim said:
Read this craziness... anything in there? I don't have time to review it... LOL

http://www.thequantumawakening.com/MYSTICAL MARRIAGE.htm

I took a look but my eyes kept crossing trying to read it... they seem to quite hung up on the number seven, but I doubt they're organized enough to make, and then loose, a silver pin in Nova Scotia... :-)

Upvote 0

Just for all to see, I found this on another site, but it dosn't have any refrence to "MOUS"... ?

Attachments

• we_are_seven.jpg
    we_are_seven.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 684
Upvote 0

And that's a good point too--even though the quote is in English, the acronym above might very well be in FRENCH!--especially if it is a political pin.

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Mous means soft in French. As far as any political references go all I came up with so far is this postcard. we_are_seven.jpg

Here is the link to it-http://tinyurl.com/2ug827 Sorry Canadian Cossack, I just seen you posted the same PC.

Upvote 0

diggummup said:
Mous means soft in French. As far as any political references go all I came up with so far is this postcard.

Here is the link to it-http://tinyurl.com/2ug827 Sorry Canadian Cossack, I just seen you posted the same PC.

Two replies up, you'll see that the original poster of this thread has posted the same card!

Please read the replies. First time you get a gentle chiding. Second offense and Mona will strap you to a chair and make force you to look at Maxim magazines with ounces and ounces of gold all over them!

:)

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy said:
diggummup said:
Mous means soft in French. As far as any political references go all I came up with so far is this postcard.

Two replies up, you'll see that the original poster of this thread has posted the same card!

Please read the replies. First time you get a gentle chiding. Second offense and Mona will strap you to a chair and make force you to look at Maxim magazines with ounces and ounces of gold all over them!

:)

the line forms behind me ;D

Upvote 0

diggummup said:
Sorry Canadian Cossack, I just seen you posted the same PC.

No problems, I was toying with posting it again myself, just so Mona would have to force me to look at a Maxim magazine... :-) :-)

Upvote 0

I like BuckleBoy's thinking.

And Canadian Cossack, you've got to check it with a magnifying glass!

I had a closer look at the back of the pin and swear I can see a stamp there.
As per the pic below, the box (labeled 1, for easy identification ;D ) seems to surround a series of letters.
At first I thought it began with CAN... but I'm not sure.

Item #2 has got to be an 8
It almost looks like a 1 next to it and is it upside down?

Item #3 looks like a crude figure X

Attachments

• MOUS rev 2.JPG
    MOUS rev 2.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 644
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back