Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang, I don't know if this belongs on a box, chest, saddle, etc. or what? Any help would certainly be appreciated. I'll post a better pic after I have time to clean it. The letters look like "M" and "C" or "G," and I'm not sure cleaning will help that much on that particular letter since their is rust over part of it from the connecting post. It's substantial for its size as well as fairly thick. Thanks, ;D Breezie

Attachments

• MCompany1.jpg
    MCompany1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 491
  • MCompany2.jpg
    MCompany2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 488
  • MCompany3.jpg
    MCompany3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 490
bigcypresshunter said:
creskol said:
That is true, but in your photos, the first one is a push key as opposed to a turn key, and that slot is significantly larger and much lower than the one on Breezie's. The second photo, although the key is flat, the mechanism in which the key is inserted turns. I fail to see how Breezie's would work in either application.
What about the second lock in the first pic with the rectangle slot? :icon_scratch:

That is the one I was referring to. The one on the left in the first picture is made for a flat key, too, but if you will notice, it has a rotating hub at the top of the slot. Without that, the key wouldn't turn.

Upvote 0
creskol said:
bigcypresshunter said:
creskol said:
That is true, but in your photos, the first one is a push key as opposed to a turn key, and that slot is significantly larger and much lower than the one on Breezie's. The second photo, although the key is flat, the mechanism in which the key is inserted turns. I fail to see how Breezie's would work in either application.
What about the second lock in the first pic with the rectangle slot? :icon_scratch:

That is the one I was referring to. The one on the left in the first picture is made for a flat key, too, but if you will notice, it has a rotating hub at the top of the slot. Without that, the key wouldn't turn.
What about the one on the right? Is that the one you are referring to?

Lock #1061. It has a rectangle slot and a flat key. I dont know whether it pushes or turns but does it matter? :icon_scratch: Should I post more pics?

Upvote 0
That is the push key. The key doesn't turn. Like I say though, that slot is significantly bigger and much lower that the slot on Breezie's relic.

But, since everyone seems to think it is a lock face plate but me, then a lock faceplate it can be. :boxing: :wave:

Upvote 0
creskol said:
That is the push key. The key doesn't turn. Like I say though, that slot is significantly bigger and much lower that the slot on Breezie's relic.

But, since everyone seems to think it is a lock face plate but me, then a lock faceplate it can be. :boxing: :wave:
No creskol. You do not have to let it be, if you truly believe you are right. 8) It is very important that we get the correct ID and I am not a 19th century lock expert. . Thanks for your opinions. :icon_thumright: As far as being "significantly bigger" :icon_scratch:, I will have to post them side by side to scale I guess so I can understand. :P But later, Im tired. :D 8) 8) :wave:

A pic of a stove medallion with the slot would be cool.

ADDED: Also Breezie could we see a pic after you cleaned it? Im curious about the keyhole and the dimples on the back.

Upvote 0
If your slot cannot be a keyhole than we need to remove the green check. :dontknow: I think what creskol is saying is that the true rectangle shape is a rare push type key lock (doesnt turn). :-\ When I get a chance, Ill search some more books.

Upvote 0
Here is a pic of the hole (back view, which shows it better) after I've clean-out the rust, which is tiny. It's about the same size as the ink pen tip. I don't hardly see how a key could fit. The entire piece is only 1 1/4 inches. What puzzles me is the primitive the script. All of the lock pieces I've seen(those on the website CannonBallGuy listed) were more formal looking. Do you think there is a possibility the W's are decor and the name of the company is M C Co. ??? :dontknow:

I'll make another post of the back of it showing the indented areas just as soon as I make the pics.

Thanks again y'all for all of the help. I hope we can figure this one out, and it doesn't turn into the 'egg counter.' :laughing7: Breezie

Attachments

• InkPenComparison.jpg
    InkPenComparison.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 309
Upvote 0
Here's the front and the back after being 'fast' cleaned. I can see the "M" and what looks like a lower case "g," but is the letter beside M an F? The back has 2 round dimples.

Attachments

• PlateBack.jpg
    PlateBack.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 306
  • PlateFrontCleaned.jpg
    PlateFrontCleaned.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 308
Upvote 0
Because its appears to be Mfg Co. I think its has to be WW on top to make sense. Whatever it is, its old but there were many companies called WW Mfg Co. It looks the right size for a flat key to me but that doesnt mean anything. Looking in my books, keys were many different shapes and sizes. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
An interesting little snippet of info:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-09 at 9.47.36 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-09 at 9.47.36 PM.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
creskol said:
As far as being "significantly bigger" :icon_scratch:, I will have to post them side by side to scale I guess so I can understand. :P But later, Im tired. :D 8) 8) :wave:

This is the first time I ever did this on Irfanview but I believe I have a scaled size comparison as promised. While the slot on Breezies item is wide enough, its a bit shorter and higher, but I wouldnt call it a significant difference enough to rule it out as an early WW Mfg Co. flat push key padlock or some other kind of lock cover.. Ill let you be the judge.

I dont mean to beat a dead horse. This is the only way to solve this is a back and forth opinionated discussion. :) :argue:

I am not convinced its a lock cover plate, (not solved) but I think its possible considering all the clues.

ADDED: Even though its still corroded, I agree Breezies find most likely will not show any evidence of a turn type key when cleaned but I dont see any reason why it cant be the push type, unless Im missing something.. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• padlock comparison to Breezies find.jpg
    padlock comparison to Breezies find.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 242
  • padlocks 3 inch.jpg
    padlocks 3 inch.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0
The round dimples on the back kinda look like pressure welds. That may be how it was attached to something else metal. I dont know if that helps any. Your post will soon fade into oblivion but still a chance of positive ID as long as its in the system.

I agree its something made by WW Mfg Co.
The Mfg Co part is correct IMO. padlock WW Mfg Co.jpg

Upvote 0
I had a local who collects locks look at it, and he confirmed it was a lock plate by William Wilcox. Thanks to all :thumbsup: Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back