Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang, I don't know if this belongs on a box, chest, saddle, etc. or what? Any help would certainly be appreciated. I'll post a better pic after I have time to clean it. The letters look like "M" and "C" or "G," and I'm not sure cleaning will help that much on that particular letter since their is rust over part of it from the connecting post. It's substantial for its size as well as fairly thick. Thanks, ;D Breezie

Attachments

• MCompany1.jpg
    MCompany1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 491
  • MCompany2.jpg
    MCompany2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 488
  • MCompany3.jpg
    MCompany3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 490
my guess from what i see is maybe a small lock plate of a chest??? the letters at the bottom look like something CO.

Upvote 0
Could it be a strap end for a book clasp? :icon_scratch:

DCMatt

Upvote 0
If you clean a bit more of the crud away from the lettering, it will say WW Mfg. Co.

I've seen that peculiar-looking logo. long ago, on something else ...probably on a padlock. Go here: http://www.antique-padlocks.com/smoke_wwco.htm

Update: I see ffuries has posted a WW Mfg. Co. padlock while I was researching and typing the info above. I'll continue the research.

Update 2: There are more than just a couple of manufacturers named WW Manufacturing Co. Each one I've found date-info on thus far dates from the second half of the 20th century. But, in websearching, I found a "small heart-shaped lock" that is marked "Pat. Jan 27, [18]74" ...which gives you a time-period for the company you're looking for. http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?ItemId=51869.

Upvote 0
Ffuries wrote:
> didn't mean to steal your thunder!

No problemo, Mike. As I've said in other posts, I view the quest to ID unknown objects as a "we" thing ...not a "me" thing.

Anytime you've got some helpful info to contribute, please do speak up. :)

Upvote 0
I love smart! I post right before lunch, come back, and BAM! . .Here's the ID! Thanks to all and Teverly who tagged it initally and especially to Mike & CannonBallGuy; great pics & website. The script on mine looks somewhat crude. Do you think that means it was made earlier?

It looks like a GREEN check mark is in order. :thumbsup: Breezie

Attachments

• WW.jpg
    WW.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 442
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
I love smart! I post right before lunch, come back, and BAM! . .Here's the ID! Thanks to all and Teverly who tagged it initally and especially to Mike & CannonBallGuy; great pics & website. The script on mine looks somewhat crude. Do you think that means it was made earlier?

What is it?

Upvote 0
creskol said:
Breezie said:

What is it?

Creskol, It is the face plate for a lock made by the W.W. (William Wilcox) Mfg. Company.

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
creskol said:
Breezie said:

What is it?

Creskol, It is the face plate for a lock made by the W.W. (William Wilcox) Mfg. Company. :thumbsup:

Oh .. I would place my bets that it isn't .. Not sure what it is though...sorta looks like a stove medallion or something to me.

Upvote 0
After making my last post, I thought Creskol could be on to something because the hole for this plate is in the center, which seems like a strange place for a lock plate. Now, I'm wondering, is it a lock face plate or not? I"m going to do some research to see the W.W. Co. made anything other than locks. Should I remove the green check?

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
After making my last post, I thought Creskol could be on to something because the hole for this plate is in the center, which seems like a strange place for a lock plate. Now, I'm wondering, is it a lock face plate or not? I"m going to do some research to see the W.W. Co. made anything other than locks. Should I remove the green check?
I think it is the padlock face plate/keyhole plate (NOT the movable keyhole cover) If you look closely at your item, there appears to be a slot filled in by corrosion. I dont have the exact pic but here is something similar from my old catalog #1066 on the right. What do you think?

Attachments

• padlocks old book.jpg
    padlocks old book.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 395
  • padlocks old book.jpg
    padlocks old book.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0
I guess it could be, but I have never seen a faceplate like that one, nor have I seen any that are marked like that.
Also, the slot on Breezie's relic is a true rectangle, not conducive to having a key penetrate it, and it is filled with iron.
I personally think that the slot held an attachment device of some sort, similar in nature to a stove maker's medalion,
an ironworks medallion (such as was seen on old storefronts,etc.), or some similar application. I may be totally wrong, though.
It is an interesting piece!

Upvote 0
author=bigcypresshunter
I think it is the padlock face plate/keyhole plate (NOT the movable keyhole cover) If you look closely at your item, there appears to be a slot filled in by corrosion. I don't have the exact pic but here is something similar from my old catalog #1066 on the right. What do you think?

I agree! I scraped out some of the rust in the slot area, and I'm satisfied it is a W.W. Co. padlock face plate. I did some research on the W.W. Co. and the only items they ever sold were Padlocks and Luggage Tags.

Great job everyone :headbang: Now I can put the green check back on this one.

Upvote 0
creskol said:
I guess it could be, but I have never seen a faceplate like that one, nor have I seen any that are marked like that.
Also, the slot on Breezie's relic is a true rectangle, not conducive to having a key penetrate it, and it is filled with iron.
I couldnt figure it being a screwhole and then I looked closer and realized its a slot. I know what your saying but I dont have a problem with a true rectangle slot. Some of the keys in my 1870s catalog are perfectly flat and come on all types of sizes including a true rectangle. The padlock itself is iron/steel.

Attachments

• padlock from 1870 catalog.jpg
    padlock from 1870 catalog.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 357
  • padlock rectangle slot.jpg
    padlock rectangle slot.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 377
  • padlock from 1870 catalog.jpg
    padlock from 1870 catalog.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 363
Upvote 0
That is true, but in your photos, the first one is a push key as opposed to a turn key, and that slot is significantly larger and much lower than the one on Breezie's. The second photo, although the key is flat, the mechanism in which the key is inserted turns. I fail to see how Breezie's would work in either application.

Upvote 0
creskol said:
That is true, but in your photos, the first one is a push key as opposed to a turn key, and that slot is significantly larger and much lower than the one on Breezie's. The second photo, although the key is flat, the mechanism in which the key is inserted turns. I fail to see how Breezie's would work in either application.
What about the second lock in the first pic with the rectangle slot? :icon_scratch: Im not sure what you mean by larger. I could post more flat key and rectangle slot locks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back