What is this little cannon

Jt... DO NOT fire ... REPEAT ... DO NOT FIRE this.
This is NOT designed right IMO.
I did a few searches to see if I can lock this down for you as far as a maker and designed use.

This on first sight immediately appears to be a "desk cannon"... Designed for a desk "paper weight".

The reason I state this is the "Trunnions"... They are not "up to par"... they do not look right to me...

This COULD BE a "smoke cannon"... Just made for a "poof" of smoke.
This is NOT designed to "fire" ANY objects IMO... and If I were you I would NOT try.

Just my two cents worth this morn upon seeing this.

OH... on more thing I would like you to do just to satisfy my curiosity here...
Take something like a pencil thickness and put down the bore... see if you can go to the "rear inside"... and how far.
Look through the touch hole etc.

See if it even goes that far... may stop at wheels even.... DUE TO the "screw" OR "rod" that holds the cannon in place and ACTS AS Trunnions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PS>
The more I look at this ...
The more obvious this is an ornamental copy piece...

So much does not "look right".

I would even dare say that someone DRILLED that touch hole.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am NOT saying to fire it,,That is up to you obviously but in the past i have had a few fireable mini Cannons,Signal,Etc.,,I do NOT think this is ornamental.,I.E. "paperweight",etc.Again just MY thought's!...HAPPY HUNTING ALL:thumbsup:!!!
P.S. Home Made(machinist?)??

Upvote 0
Jt... DO NOT fire ... REPEAT ... DO NOT FIRE this./QUOTE]

Oh that sure sounds like the parent telling Johnny not to do it-we all know Johnny is dying to try it out.:laughing7:

All I can add is your toy cannon is bigger than mine. :)
cottage on howe Island 068.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Last thing I wanna see is someone getting seriously hurt or worse because they "thought" it was ok.

There are so many inherent dangers involved with these.

EVEN ones designed for firing FAIL constantly. JFYI

an-18th-century-childs-bronze-toy-cannon-exploded-through-use-_-sold-[3]-403-p.jpg

Upvote 0
Trust me on this...
Do the checks JT...

I have received your pm's btw ... the links dud out...
And on other one...
Know nothing about it...
But on this...
I can safely say...
I know a thing or two.

Upvote 0
I prob not going to try anything I'm pretty busy and don't have time anyways lol

Upvote 0
Just stick something down the bore and see if it goes all the way first.
See if the trunnion Bolt/screw goes "through" it...
If it does... you will feel it.
OR see it... take a flashlight and shine in if poss.

Upvote 0
Ok I will when I have it..... I will let you know

Upvote 0
Before the world went PC, back when we had rifle teams in school and real machine shop classes we used to make these as a first year lathe project. However you did have to drill the fuse hole at home with the supervision of your parents.

Upvote 0
After reading what AARC has to say about the trunnions, I agree with him. I took a second, closer look, and I don't think it was designed to be fired. I don't like the looks of the trunnions, they are supposed to hold the cannon barrel to the carriage, and on this one they look to be screws, and unless the pass through the barrel, to weak to hold things together. AARC is giving some good advice, pay attention to him and check out the barrel like he suggests. Someone might have fired it and got away with it, but from what I can see after looking closer, it's just an accident waiting to happen.

Upvote 0
Prob not going to try it out anyway. Bore does go all the way through and the trunnions are Allen wrench set screws

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back