What is this little cannon

I found a smaller one in an old school yard and yes as Stefen said they used to be fired with powder back in the day.....theyd probably be considered illegal today....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill

Upvote 0
How old do you guys think this one would this one be

Upvote 0
Thought the wheels looked odd

Upvote 0
Numbers are 296-345. r with circle....... And 8 further away this reminds me of some proto type or something........ Really something as stupid as this and can't find one like it anywhere

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found a smaller one in an old school yard and yes as Stefen said they used to be fired with powder back in the day.....theyd probably be considered illegal today....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill

Hate misquotes.

Where did I say they used to be fired with powder?

Upvote 0
I received a request for my input about this toy cannon.

I had a "Carbide cannon" as a kid way back in the 1950s. This one does not have the characteristics of a Carbide cannon... a type which makes a bang by igniting the flammable gas created by mixing Calcium Carbide with water. This toy cannon appears to lack a reservoir for the Carbide gas. For info and photos of Carbide cannons, go here:
Big Bang Cannons : Carbide & Cannons: Calcium Carbide for your Cannons, Lamps & More

This toy cannon appears to be somebody's home-made (or home-assembled) blackpowder "peashooter." Yes, it is capable of firing peas or other small objects with considerable force. Compare the crude workmanship it shows with the factory-made cannons at the link above.

Upvote 0
I don't know the size of the bore, but it is capable of being shot. However if you do, only use black powder, or a modern substitute for black powder. It is entirely possible to blow
that cannon up using modern smokeless powder. Using a little wadding, made out of rolled up paper on top of about 30 grains of black powder, and you will get a nice bang and lots of smoke.
You could also put a projectile on top of 20 or 30 grains of black powder, and you would have the same thing as a muzzle loading black powder pistol, and the ball will come out
of the bore at high velocity, so be sure it's pointed in a safe direction, and use a fuse in the touch hole so that you can be well out of the way, and NOT directly behind it when
it goes off. It will recoil -- for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. If you don't know what you are doing you could have a very fancy pipe bomb, so the key word is,
be careful.

Upvote 0
The numbers are 296-345 r on both wheels

Here is size

Upvote 0
Stefen,

The ones I've found at least were fired with black powder and one was actually just a half cannon which had blown up....so my comments stand based on what I've found....maybe other types exist but I've yet to find them.

Regards + HH

Bill

Hate misquotes.

Where did I say they used to be fired with powder?

Upvote 0
Bill he just miss read what you said because you didn't put coma after as stefen said........or whatever punctuation should be there lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are going to fire that i personally would secure it down,And of course a touch fuse.Maybe not secure but at the very least a safe area&Be safe if your going to fire.Very cool Cannon! HAPPY HUNTING ALL:thumbsup:!!!

Upvote 0
Looks to be about .32 caliber. I'm thinking you could shoot double ought buckshot out of it. I wouldn't, I'd shoot blanks just for 4th of July or New Years noise.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back