What is this Chinese cash looking coin with the number 100 on it!!!

sir

May 29, 2007

Attachments

• GAvaqx6.jpg
    GAvaqx6.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 115
  • CbTAlmz.jpg
    CbTAlmz.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 117
:laughing7: Lol I understand your frustration! I have a pile in front of me and these are hard to identify for me! Years get confusing too! I'm sry!!! I found your post funny! Going through the same thing as I type! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Not a coin, a charm or token of some sort. If only someone one here who knew chinese???

Don't mean to hyjack, but is that a charm or token because it only has stuff on one side? I have similar looking coins. They have stuff on the front and back. And one with just a raised square on the back in the center.

Upvote 0
I just googled everything I could not even find it when I searched "100 cash coin Chinese token charm thing"

I'm not doubting you, Just trying to figure it out. I have 9 different in front of me trying to figure the same thing out. lol different sizes. markings etc..
I always just put the stuff aside I couldn't figure out. over the years I ended up with a box of different tokens and coins. So I just started going through it.

If I find anything at all I'll post it in here sir..

Upvote 0
Sir. I find Chinese coins while prospecting here in far northern cal but have never seen the 100 as your shows. look up CHINESE COIN IDENTIFICATION - Calgary Coin Gallery , also on Tnet there is a guy that posts lots of stuff from chinese railroad camps in texas i cant remember his name though.
nice find

Upvote 0
asian coins 014.JPGasian coins 013.JPG

So far I think the top row might be the same.:dontknow: I'm noticing in the books one little mark means something completely different. I'm still new to figuring these out.what I'm noticing so far is...... Vietnam,china,japan,korea all look similar to me...There are also cast coins and stamped coins. Still digging.....:laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
have you tried the site numista.com? Thats where i was able to id my old Chinese cash coins. i can tell from a quick glance it seems all of your coins there should be chinese, the one thats blanks on the back im about 75 percent sure. Its also the same site where i realized the coin in question was more elusive to identify. But you are right, some of those can have a million varieties since the emperor they represent could have been alive for 80 years and such.

Upvote 0
ha the blank one is Japanese
1 Mon - Japan - Numista
minted sometime between the far off years of 1636-1862
looks to be in the middle of that range since the letters are more coarse and i think later coins were cast iron.

Upvote 0
My wife (Taiwan) says that it is a Chinese good luck charm. They were typically braided in red string and displayed as a decoration.

Upvote 0
My wife (Taiwan) says that it is a Chinese good luck charm. They were typically braided in red string and displayed as a decoration.
ha haaa brilliant!! I cant believe my luck and I cant thank you and your partner enough!! Does she have an age range for it? Or is this something that has been in effect for seemingly forever.

Upvote 0
ha haaa brilliant!! I cant believe my luck and I cant thank you and your partner enough!! Does she have an age range for it? Or is this something that has been in effect for seemingly forever.

No way to date it unfortunately as it has been a traditional type of good luck charm and continues to be.

Here is but one example:
CC.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I find it interesting that it is marked 100...I looked hard for an example and failed but in the research I found that cash coins were often put on strings in groups of 100 to make purchases.in times of rebellion providences would mint there own tokens and declare them worth 100 or even 1000 and they would be accepted as such very quickly.also it was mentioned they were often blank on one side.very interesting item....:occasion14:

Upvote 0
I find it interesting that it is marked 100...I looked hard for an example and failed but in the research I found that cash coins were often put on strings in groups of 100 to make purchases.in times of rebellion providences would mint there own tokens and declare them worth 100 or even 1000 and they would be accepted as such very quickly.also it was mentioned they were often blank on one side.very interesting item....:occasion14:

ha ha, brilliant, it seems i am the first to bring this specimen to the web, not sure what to make of it. do you have a link to where you read this?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back