IMG_4674.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4673.jpeg
    IMG_4673.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Outer reading has less Fe
Inner reading has greater Fe
I have seen a lot of river iron but nothing like this.
In retrospect, I should have kept it in water at home. After about a month out of water it started breaking away. However, I have kept all air- eroded pieces to the puzzle.

Outer lower iron content
Inner very high iron content
Scrapyard doesn’t know what it is
We’re falling apart fast. Never had river iron act so foolishly. No drops or nothing. Just crumbling. Thankfully we have all pieces to the puzzle.
In hIndsight I would have stored in water rather than air. It’s a Neuse River find.
At first when recovered I thought it was an antler or wood due to erosion. Out of all the iron I’ve pulled from river I’ve never encountered this style of (wood-antler) outer appearance.

Upvote 0
At first when recovered I thought it was an antler or wood due to erosion. Out of all the iron I’ve pulled from river I’ve never encountered this style of (wood-antler) outer appearance.
It’s iron on iron. Gut feeling it looks and feels older than anything I’ve seen or felt out of the ancient river

Upvote 0
What is it?
Fe outside. Not sure yet of metal core inside. Outer and inner core both highly magnetic.
Please share pics of your comparable.
I apologize for pics it’s dusk outside but will work on brighter pics if wanted.
Thanks,
CloudKicker1
It’s been a few days. Can we claim as officially “unidentified”? Thank you, TNet!

Upvote 0
The end from a thermocouple; possibly a Model J type. Used to sense furnace flame for safety.
Thanks Blackfoot. I’ve researched your answer. Not sure where you’re coming from? Could you please share a diagram or picture. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks Blackfoot. I’ve researched your answer. Not sure where you’re coming from? Could you please share a diagram or picture. Thanks!
IMG_3444.jpeg

This is similar to my thoughts. The sensing rod varied in sizes, based on the flame size intended. I believe they were made of a bi-metal.

Upvote 1
View attachment 2162757
This is similar to my thoughts. The sensing rod varied in sizes, based on the flame size intended. I believe they were made of a bi-metal.
Blackfoot thanks for your reply.
Check the width and shape on the unidentified. It is very thick, with outer thicker skin Fe. Inner core Fe.
Unfortunately your picture doesn’t resemble unidentified. However your tone sounds confident.
If there’s anything additional you can share about your explanation please share here.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back