What is it?

muld75164

Dec 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I have been following the forum for a few year and have finally decided to joined today. I picked up this object at a antique store in Illinois, which usually carries only Primitive and Folk Art Items, and the dealer was unsure what it is/used for. It is made of wood and hollow Not sure if it's old or for decoration, and I only spent a few $$$.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

D

Attachments

• IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 83
My first guess is a foot warmer that someone would put hot water in.

Upvote 0
welcome to Tnet i have no idea but there are a lot of people on here who probably could

Upvote 0
May just be a wooden vessel with no particular purpose. I use to turn some very similar in shape in the years past.

Upvote 0
May just be a wooden vessel with no particular purpose. I use to turn some very similar in shape in the years past.

Maybe, but the hole is very small in comparison to the size of the vessel. That makes it impractical for non-specific use.

Upvote 0
Maybe, but the hole is very small in comparison to the size of the vessel. That makes it impractical for non-specific use.

I guess you have never met an artist. I can tell you from plenty of first hand experience they don't always think these things through. But it is possible it has a specific use as well, I just know what.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 2.16.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 2.16.32 PM.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with bowwinkles incense burner. The chain is used to carry from room to room.

Upvote 0
This could be a hair receiver. Women used to save their hair and put it in similar containers.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Being made of wood, neither really makes sense. Wood is flammable so burning incense in it would or could be disasterous. Also, wood isn't a very good conductor for heat, and I am not sure you would want to fill it with hot water anyhow.

The incense it self comes with a stone like holder where u just put the holder in your burner and stick the incense in the holder and it stands up and you light it. It smolters down to the holder and goes out.

Upvote 0
The incense it self comes with a stone like holder where u just put the holder in your burner and stick the incense in the holder and it stands up and you light it. It smolters down to the holder and goes out.

That would sorta negate the need for a lid I would think, but it could well be.

Upvote 0
It's part of a dresser set.

Campfire has it right... It's a hair recerver to put the hair from the brush in.

Attachments

• dresser set 1.jpg
    dresser set 1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back