what is it?

RickyD

Jan 21, 2006
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550. Garrett Pro Pointer
I found this detecting the target range at a fort that was in existance from 1859 to 1868. At the same site I found dozens of 58 cal. mini balls. It is 3 1/2 X 1 1/2 inches. It is pressed out of thin brass, and is a hand holding a chisel. On the back are remnants of what seem to be ears that held it as an emblem on the outside of a satchel or something. Any guesses?

Attachments

• kapowsin3.jpg
    kapowsin3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,119
  • kapowsin3.jpg
    kapowsin3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,126
  • kapowsin3.jpg
    kapowsin3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,122
Upvote 0
Chalise or flask? Sorry, it is pressed brass or copper. This is a back view

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 574
Upvote 0
PBK said:
Like MechTech, I'd like to know why the hand is several sizes too large— or the cricket bat several sizes too small.

And I'd also (still) like to know why the bat is being grasped upside down, by the blade instead of the handle. Is the Jolly Green Giant taking it away from Sir Don Bradman, or what?

These aren't exactly minor details.

However, if it is a cricket badge of some sort, there should be other badges showing reasonably similar designs: giant hand holding bat by the blade, etc.— but I haven't seen and can't find any.

Time for me to sit back and watch someone else take a whack at this one! ;)

Heres my whack:

Although I said I didn't say it IS one;

What does it look like other than the bat, which I suggested was a closer match than a chisel.

Firstly not everything that was made in the past makes sense to us now & it doen't need to be logical. It could have any number of hidden meanings. I know this from my extensive research of Saxon objects.

What tool/item do you hold in that manner which looks like the item in the picture? (I suggest none)

Tyre-Kicker has shown one feature of the picture which is identical. Another three is the early string grip, the curved end of the bat, and the handle which is in the right proportion to the bat. Thats 4 identical features.

Can onyone come up with a better match?

This is my theory:

Now that I have seen the reverse, I think it attached to the wooden base of a trophy. I have seen many similar shaped press brass attachments.

The over sized hand holding the bat up in victory.

My fiance's theory about the size of the hand is that it symbolised the skill of the team rather than the tool (?)

Where are peoples suggestion for what the hand is holding? (other than a Fraternity paddleby Angelo, which I quite like) Instead of saying what it isn't.

Upvote 0
I have never said that the item in the hand did not in the least resemble a cricket bat— obviously it does, or we wouldn't be having this discussion. What I have said is that the sizes of the two appear highly disproportionate, and that grasping the bat by the blade rather than the handle seems odd as well.

If it is indeed cricket-related, then perhaps someone at the following organization can confirm that identification and provide photographic proof in the form of a similar or identical "large hand & cricket bat" symbol:

http://cricketmemorabilia.org/Officials.html

Upvote 0
dugfinds said:
PBK said:
Like MechTech, I'd like to know why the hand is several sizes too large— or the cricket bat several sizes too small.

And I'd also (still) like to know why the bat is being grasped upside down, by the blade instead of the handle. Is the Jolly Green Giant taking it away from Sir Don Bradman, or what?

However, if it is a cricket badge of some sort, there should be other badges showing reasonably similar designs: giant hand holding bat by the blade, etc.— but I haven't seen and can't find any.

Heres my whack:

What does it look like other than the bat, which I suggested was a closer match than a chisel.

Firstly not everything that was made in the past makes sense to us now & it doen't need to be logical. It could have any number of hidden meanings. I know this from my extensive research of Saxon objects.

What tool/item do you hold in that manner which looks like the item in the picture? (I suggest none)

Tyre-Kicker has shown one feature of the picture which is identical. Another three is the early string grip, the curved end of the bat, and the handle which is in the right proportion to the bat. Thats 4 identical features.

This is my theory:

Now that I have seen the reverse, I think it attached to the wooden base of a trophy. I have seen many similar shaped press brass attachments.

My fiance's theory about the size of the hand is that it symbolised the skill of the team rather than the tool (?)

Where are peoples suggestion for what the hand is holding? (other than a Fraternity paddle by Angelo, which I quite like) Instead of saying what it isn't.
ThAnk You...BRAVO ;)

Upvote 0
All I can say is that I've see quite a few Ladies hands. And that's no laides hand in my book.

Upvote 0
PBK said:
I have never said that the item in the hand did not in the least resemble a cricket bat— obviously it does, or we wouldn't be having this discussion. What I have said is that the sizes of the two appear highly disproportionate, and that grasping the bat by the blade rather than the handle seems odd as well.

If it is indeed cricket-related, then perhaps someone at the following organization can confirm that identification and provide photographic proof in the form of a similar or identical "large hand & cricket bat" symbol:

http://cricketmemorabilia.org/Officials.html
Cant imagine Why a swab would be held that way either if a Cricket Bat cant be imagined being held that way....Good idea though...PBK....I sent that site an email early last evening.....ESP...... :o :-* ;)

Upvote 0
Switching All Gears in Another direction for a bit.....How About this....An end of slavery medallion or badge....slaves hand holding this sword in palm "by the blade" as a symbol for an ending???? Just a Guess... :P

Attachments

• swordsheath asante people of ghana.jpg
    swordsheath asante people of ghana.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 482
Upvote 0
Michelle said:
dugfinds said:
PBK said:

Heres my whack:

This is my theory:

Where are peoples suggestion for what the hand is holding? (other than a Fraternity paddle by Angelo, which I quite like) Instead of saying what it isn't.
ThAnk You...BRAVO ;)

BRAVO ;D

Upvote 0
Well, here I am again, with alittle imfo....Because it was found clear up here in Washington State, the slavery thing, not to mention the civil war, was like happening on another planet. Washington wasn't even a state yet. But the Cricket thing could be a possibility. Fort Steilacoom Park is one of the oldest parks in Washington State, and at one time could have held cricket matches. I have added a picture of where the item was found. Behind the person pictured is the hill I mentioned that caught stray bullets....and you can see how unruley the grass is....That path is one of two nature trails that pass through that area....but behind where the photographer was standing is well kept grounds that host soccer matches, with baseball fields being behind that. So who knows.....

Attachments

• find location.jpg
    find location.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 446
Upvote 0
:o BIG SCRATCH :o...................HMMMM

Fort Steilacoom
(1849 - 1868), Steilacoom
The first Federal fort on Puget Sound, originally called Post on Puget Sound. Built on land then still owned by the Hudson's Bay Company at Fort Nisqually. Thirty wood frame buildings were erected in 1857 - 1858 to replace the original log buildings, enlarging the post to a 600-foot square complex. In 1861 the garrison left to fight in the Civil War, leaving the Territorial Militia in charge of the fort. Four original restored Officers' quarters remain, located on the grounds of Western State Hospital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Steilacoom

Attachments

• ape-scratch.gif
    ape-scratch.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 434
Upvote 0
Torch ?

torch.jpg

Personally I think it's Masonic & thats a Chisel.
used by a carver of Headstones ;)

indexll.jpg

Upvote 0
Better Yet Compair Symbols

Attachments

• indexbbbbbb.jpg
    indexbbbbbb.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 441
  • 2324042440.jpg
    2324042440.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 397
Upvote 0
Because this is the second time making reference to a symbol on the handle....sorry, just a scar from either me digging it, or something else in the past.

Upvote 0
I think Jeff's onto something, one would have to hold the chisel like that for precision carving and the thick bracelet would protect the wrist from the handle.

kenb

Upvote 0
RickyD said:
Well, here I am again, with alittle imfo....Because it was found clear up here in Washington State, the slavery thing, not to mention the civil war, was like happening on another planet. Washington wasn't even a state yet. But the Cricket thing could be a possibility. Fort Steilacoom Park is one of the oldest parks in Washington State, and at one time could have held cricket matches. I have added a picture of where the item was found. Behind the person pictured is the hill I mentioned that caught stray bullets....and you can see how unruley the grass is....That path is one of two nature trails that pass through that area....but behind where the photographer was standing is well kept grounds that host soccer matches, with baseball fields being behind that. So who knows.....
Look's like it's a cricket bat then :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back