What is it? Found in Civil War Engagement Area

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Ace 250, Vibra-Probe 560
Found this iron piece on a Civil War Battle Area. This picture was taken after a electralsysis cleanup. Looks to pretty old and from the era. I know some people will say it is a house number etc., but it is iron and seems to be a little to heavy for that.

My thoughts, a regimental number for something or maybe something having to do with ropes etc maybe for a carriage or trailer.

Maybe just junk. I did find some pieces of iron chain etc in the same area and schrapnel.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC04734.JPG
    DSC04734.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 545
Hi, Interesting item, do you haev the measurements?? Looks to me as tho it may have something to do with ropes or sadlery. Just my 2 cents.

Sasnz

Upvote 0
It is about 5 inches wide and 2 inches high if looking at it the way the picture is taken.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Well you see, since this was found in a civil war engagment site this is one of those special engagement rings/braclet/necklace that one soldier would give to another when he really liked him. After months of heavy fighting, snuggling close in the tents and trenches at night. Some men just became very attached and had a special relationship. :)

Upvote 0
That sounds better. It would be nice to know it is something more associated with the war. We do find a lot of schrapnel in the area.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back