What in the world are these ?

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just found the third one of these, in this old mining camp, and have no clue what they could be?????? Measure 3" long, 3/4" thick. Cast in are letters (very Rough) and not really readable. WEAVER PAT. MAR. 8 84 ? Just a guess on the date, unreadable IMG_0788.JPG

The two pieces on the left appear to be 2 parts of some type on an old clamp. The one on the right might be a spacer that goes in between. Just a thought!

Frank

Upvote 0
Hmmm.

I find a wrench patrented on 03/08/1884 but don't think that's it.

49609-1.jpg

Upvote 0
Not sure if ore carts had brakes, but if they did, these could be brake shoes. These are shaped like brakes shoes.
Maybe someone who has knowledge of ore carts could chime in

Upvote 0
I am with Tommy B... they look like brake shoes, from a drum brake set up. I do not recall drum brakes from the 1800s though...

Upvote 0
"steel toes from a boot? "

Toes and/or heels. Maybe for a little Western Tap-Dance around the campfire.

Upvote 0
Maybe part of a seed planter ? Just my guess

Upvote 0
Looks like each piece is 1 half of a clamp possibly? Water line, air line?

Upvote 0
Looks like each piece is 1 half of a clamp possibly? Water line, air line?

To me they look like they have abrasive surfaces on the outside radius of the shoe (worn out) and can be bolted in place over some kind of slot or holder?
a Search of the US Patent office for Weaver late 1800's shows several patents for rock drills chucks and teeth as well as clamping mechanisms for rope and cables. Because you are only finding this kind and an opposing would be required for a clamp, I am buying into tooth bits for a Rock drill. It would make perfect sense to where you found them.

Anyone?

Upvote 0
To me they look like they have abrasive surfaces on the outside radius of the shoe (worn out) and can be bolted in place over some kind of slot or holder?
a Search of the US Patent office for Weaver late 1800's shows several patents for rock drills chucks and teeth as well as clamping mechanisms for rope and cables. Because you are only finding this kind and an opposing would be required for a clamp, I am buying into tooth bits for a Rock drill. It would make perfect sense to where you found them.

Anyone?

I see what your saying, especially after looking at some rock drill heads online with offset teeth...... I'm digging your ID.

Upvote 0
Keep coming back to the idea they are the lower part of the clamp on a piston connecting rod.

Upvote 0
Yes I can see that, but they do not have bearing journals . The inside of the radius should be smooth and solid. It is quite opposite

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back