What could this be?

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this metal detecting. It appears to be made of copper, says Pat. July 20 1886 on the side and is about an inch and a half high. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Copy of 025 Standard e-mail view.jpgCopy of 032 Standard e-mail view.jpgCopy of 035 Standard e-mail view.jpgCopy of Copy of 034 Standard e-mail view.jpg

WAG...Cap for a pressure cooker?

Upvote 0
I may be completely off.. But im thinking Bullet Mold

Upvote 0
candle snuffer?

Upvote 0
Patent dates are usually easy to work with. I say usually, but not in this case because on July 20, 1886 there were approximately 500 U.S. patents issued. I scrolled through a lot of them but got burned out on about the hundreth one. Here's the link for Google Patents for anyone who has the time. Just enter the date and have at it. The only bummer is, you have to click on each one to open it, which takes a ton of time.

Link: Google

However, I did find the patent shown here of an umbrella. But instead of a U.S. patent, the July 20, 1886 date is when this same patent was filed in France. I'm thinking maybe the item in question is the tip to one of these umbrellas. Anyway, that's the best I could come up with and suggest that someone take a look at the 400 other patents for that date that I didn't look at. But then again, maybe it is an umbrella tip. :dontknow:

Good luck.

SBB

French Patent No. 177,505 ~ July 20, 1886

U.S. Patent No. 368,920 ~ ~ August 23, 1887

(Click on image to enlarge)

Umbrella Patent 001.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Patents dates are usually easy to work with. I say usually, but not in this case because on July 20, 1886 there were approximately 500 U.S. patents issued. I scrolled through a lot of them but got burned out on about the hundreth one. Here's the link for Google Patents for anyone who has the time. Just enter the date and have at it. The only bummer is, you have to click on each one to open it, which takes a ton of time.

Link: Google

However, I did find the patent shown here of an umbrella. But instead of a U.S. patent, the July 20, 1886 date is when this same patent was filed in France. I'm thinking maybe the item in question is the tip to one of these umbrellas. Anyway, that's the best I could come up with and suggest that someone take a look at the 400 other patents for that date that I didn't look at. But then again, maybe it is an umbrella tip. :dontknow:

Good luck.

SBB

French Patent No. 177,505 ~ July 20, 1886

U.S. Patent No. 368,920 ~ ~ August 23, 1887

(Click on image to enlarge)

View attachment 630296
if you look closely at the inside of the object you can see three grooves. there is four sets of three grooves spaced equally around the inside edge. obviously i can see it better. however that makes me think it was pressed on to something hard enough to mark it. thanks for the input, I'll keep searching.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Part of a clock?

From website below...

"A typical Sidney Advertising Clock
as shown in the
photos above was between 5.5-6’ tall, nearly 20” in the trunk and 28” in the
base. Most models had a calendar movement showing the date on a third hand.

The heavy-duty eight-day brass. spring-driven movements were
made primarily by Seth Thomas in CT and marked “Pat July 20, 1886”. Some
New Haven
movements and possibly some from the Sessions Clock
Company were also used."

Sidney Advertising Clock Company History - Antique Clocks Guy: Antique Clocks and Mechanical Musical Instruments. We bring collectors and buyers together. Always the highest quality antique clocks available.

Upvote 0
I knew this would be a tough one so I took it upon myself to search all 400-500 patents. The clock is just one of many. I found some very interesting patents including a patented stopper and our common Safety Pin that was patented on this very day.

I could find nothing that matches this shape.. The problem is that this is probably a cap from something much larger. The patent probably has nothing at all to do with this item so it makes it hard..

I also believe its an American patent and not French. French patents would say Brevette, Bté. SGDG, Depose or DEP. http://reviews.ebay.com/Depose-and-...rench-and-German-marks?ugid=10000000002158707 Umbrella is a good guess but I could find no American umbrella patent on this day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like I said I searched all 400 but I couldnt search every component of large machinery. But I looked at each and every American patent on this date July 20, 1886 and here is my best guess but its only a guess. I think its a dust cap from a patented Walworth radiator air valve. These are removed to make adjustments and are easily lost.

Here is a modern cap from my air compressor valve. The size is the same at about 1-1/2 inch. View attachment 631419

Here is a Walworth book. View attachment 631421

Here is a Walworth radiator air valve and the 2nd pic shows how the cap (red)would fit over the adjustment stem to protect it.
View attachment 631422View attachment 631423

Here is the Walworth patented air valve. The cap is removed in the image. I marked in red how the cap would fit over.

View attachment 631424View attachment 631425

I searched all 360 or so patents that fit the criteria of being issued on July 20, 1886 and this was the best I could come up with. The cap is not unique enough to be patented on its own and it matches nothing else so I believe its connected to the patented item and an air valve is my best guess. But its just a guess ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It also looks like some kind of lamp part but I couldnt find it. Not too exciting or definitive but thats the best I got.

Upvote 0
BTW I searched "patented July 20 1886" under Googgle patent search and it cut it down to about 360 patents I think. Its a tough ID.

I even searched thimble, umbrella, lamp, bottle stopper and anything else I could think of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BTW I searched "patented July 20 1886" under Googgle patent search and it cut it down to about 360 patents I think. Its a tough ID.

I even searched thimble, umbrella, lamp, bottle stopper and anything else I could think of.
thanks for the heip researching you got farther than i did. one more thing about object. the inside is rough and scaly while the outside is very smooth. whatever was inside probably reacted negatively to the metal.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back