DiggetyDog

Nov 8, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTRA 705
MINELAB CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this thing about 5" under. Maybe hubcap? Idk but, it was tied to this wire. Not real interesting but I had to cut the wire and leave most of it there. The other end of this wire is still burried. I tried pulling it out but it wouldn't budge. So far I have dug about a foot and a half down, only stopping because it got too dark, and still, the thing won't give it up. WTF?! UGH!
It's probably wrapped around a friggin root or something but the curiosity is killing me.
What is this thing and what could be at the other end of the wire? 20131215_221545-1.jpg20131215_221920.jpg

It looks like part of a headlight bucket.

Upvote 0
It looks like part of a headlight bucket.

That's the first thing i thought of also, the wire was probably to hold it from falling off the car.

Upvote 0
Several years ago some mining people came to our place to check for lignite. After they drilled their test hole's they would put a top or cover that looked like that over them and then covered them with dirt so they cows would not step into them and break a leg...d2

Upvote 0
In the 50's, they used test holes with an explosive to test for oil formations. they drilled a hole, set the charge, and set up their sensors around it. the cap would force most of the charge to bounce down. the wires were to detonate the charge. today, they use a truck with a thumper to do the same thing.

how they determined where to drill for oil........ used to find em on the farm, after they went thru

Upvote 0
In the 50's, they used test holes with an explosive to test for oil formations. they drilled a hole, set the charge, and set up their sensors around it. the cap would force most of the charge to bounce down. the wires were to detonate the charge. today, they use a truck with a thumper to do the same thing.

how they determined where to drill for oil........ used to find em on the farm, after they went thru

Ok I have heard this from a few different people now and I really don't want curiosity killing this cat so I decided to do a closer investigation of the wire. I stripped some of plastic covering off and found these two different colored wires. One wire is really red and the other is like a basic copper color (like speaker wire). Is this, in fact, the type of wire used for detonating explosives? And if so would they actually leave explosives behind without detonating them?
I am a bit concerned here now.
View attachment 913926

Upvote 0
Sometimes a set charge doesn't go off like it's supposed to. I had an Uncle that worked in a rock quarry as a drill operator. He was killed when he drilled into an unexploded charge.

Upvote 0
there is a story in Jerome, Arizona...billion dollar mine...the ore caught fine...over ten years fighting the fire underground, the copper company imported a shovel used to dig the panama canal...to get down to the fine and put it out...many men injured or killed fighting this thing...no accurate numbers on the deaths...
so the shovel is digging through the earth and hits an underground powder bunker....

this shovel is the type that ran on four sets of rail road track...steam powered...8 man crew...
one part of the shovel was found five miles away down hill...about where I am sitting...this chunk weight in around a ton an a half....the men were never found.
big boom.
please do not take my advise...

Upvote 0
Interesting story Pippin and yeah...lol! I wasn't really up for digging a Fox hole anyway. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
That's Dangerous Dave's Cannonball Plate....:laughing7:

49075.6a00d83451b05569e20115711483ae970c-pi.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back