What color pan?

I have a black pan right now. It works well and I can easily see the gold. I do not have experience with green ones. I like the black cause I think it's the easiest color to see gold in.

Gold on black is so sexy! IMG_203116162151698.jpeg

Gold does look great on a black surface. Unfortunately it's tough to see the black sand in a black pan so I use both black and green colors at different stages of my panning process. I've also tried blue but I didn't like it personally.

Last edited:
I use metal pan, black pan, green pan, and powder blue grizzly pan. All pans work great in finding gold... gold gleams no matter what pan. If you are sifting through black sand use a green pan. The green pan hi lights gold away from black sand. The metal pan might be the hardest to search for gold because they both shine. I blue my pan in the fire, this cures the metal from rust and it makes gold finding easier. I guess you get best results from the pan you use the most. Just as long as you git the gold!:thumbsup:

Since there is a decent amount of black sand where a I pan i will keep using my green pan. Thanks all

Personal opinion...I think blue is the best, but again that's just my preference...I also like the riffles in my blue pans better than the ones in my black or green ones.

Green is the most preferred simply because it is the most produced. Use whatever color you like. (I like green because the type of pan I use is made in green) TTC

I have multiple pans and use them all. I like the GPAA green pan for major panning because of the large bottom and side ridges. I like green for reasons such as; easy to see "gold" and "black sand". But when finishing off the black sand from gold I like the green pan with a step up bottom ridge....so that I can concentrate the gold in that "pocket" using a shaker table wrist action...and back peddling the submerged pan in the water.....floating off the black sands......( I settle the gold constantly tho). I have not seen but a few miners using the same technique......but it works well for me.

So green is the color of choice for me.

Bejay

Jobe makes a terra cotta colored pan and it is my pan of choice. The smallest piece of gold sticks out like a sore thumb!

back peddling the submerged pan in the water.....floating off the black sands......( I settle the gold constantly tho). I have not seen but a few miners using the same technique......but it works well for me.

So green is the color of choice for me.

Bejay
That is exactly how I do it.

Jobe makes a terra cotta colored pan and it is my pan of choice. The smallest piece of gold sticks out like a sore thumb!

Just to make it clear for those thinking they might want to do it, I have to emphasize that while back peddling I am using a very quick wrist action trying to emulate a shaker table....then bringing the pan back after each back pedal to almost a "flat" tilt and settle the material all over again.

Bejay

Can one of you post a video of this technique? Sounds interesting!

I've tried a few different colored pans before, but green seems to work the best for me. I swear up and down by the 'Gravity Trap' line of pans made by Garrett (the same ones that make the metal detectors), specifically the Garrett Super Sluice and the Garrett Prospector. They do an excellent job down in the creek or at home using a tub. My favorite thing about Garrett's pans is the way the rifles are designed, especially how they're angled. I always have to laugh when I see someone using one of those cheap-o black plastic plans (like this) with the little protruding ramps that they try calling "rifles"... are those little bumps in there made to help launch the gold out of the pan a little faster or something?

To me color has nothing to do with my choice of pans. I base my choice on what "feels right" in my hands. It's got to be comfy in the hand as there are times I'm panning for hours on end. I don't care if it's green, blue, black or even pink as long as I can use it for a long time and not have my hand cramp up. About the only color I'd never try would be something like yellow.

My first pan was one of the black ones with the "arrow" trap in the bottom. I haven't seen those in a long time. Anyone know if they're still being made?

Through countless hours here is what ive found. Blue is the WORST color. Gosh dam...it gives me such a headache staring at that stupid blue.
Green is good for checking material. As Kevin stated you can see how fine that black sand is on green. Gold shows up well and green is easy on the eyes.
By far i feel black is best for looking for gold. Again, you cant see the black sand as well but we aren't looking for black sand are we lol.
Case and point... Even stupidly small gold shows up in a black pan and is my choice 90% of the time.

Honestly the best color for seeing gold is what's best for you. For me it was black when I first started prospecting, I tried my green GPAA pans out and green is so so to me, but then I tried my blue pan and all I got to say is for me blue is the way to go. But my blue pan is a little pan that fits into my backpack, what I do is use my big green GPAA pan get it down to almost black sands then transfer what's in the pan to my blue. My blue has 2 types of riffles bigger ones and smaller ones for smaller finer material. To me blue is the best but it's all depending on your eyes

Attachments

• image-2290856527.jpg
    image-2290856527.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 106
My preferred pan for moving a lot of material is a good old green gpaa pan. Love the deep aggressive traps in it. However I usually clean up my cons in a cheep black pan, whatever big5 sells.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back