All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• tag CW 005.JPG
    tag CW 005.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 956
  • tag CW 008.JPG
    tag CW 008.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 942
the second item is a cuff link in my veiw -- note the threading -- unscrew the end then put the post thru both holes of the shirt(french cuff type shirt) then screw the end back on to secure it closed--

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
the second item is a cuff link in my veiw -- note the threading -- unscrew the end then put the post thru both holes of the shirt(french cuff type shirt) then screw the end back on to secure it closed--
did they make lead cufflinks, ivan?

can we get the diameter, roadquest?

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:

Note what threading?

Upvote 0
on the left hand ball where the ball meets the shaft -- it appears to have a bit of threaded area- look closely . --- normally of course lead would not be used --but during the civil war there was great shortages esp in the south---so many home made items were made --- to make do.

Upvote 0
plehbah said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Do those lead "dumbell" balls look like bullets? If they do, approx. what caliber are they? What kinda metal is connecting them? I wonder if that could be fired in a gun? :icon_scratch:

I have figured it out. It is .58 caliber chain-shot designed to blow holes in your hanky.
lol we dont know the caliber or size because Roadquest hasnt given it yet.

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
on the left hand ball where the ball meets the shaft -- it appears to have a bit of threaded area- look closely . --- normally of course lead would not be used --but during the civil war there was great shortages esp in the south---so many home made items were made --- to make do.
If they ran out of bullets, they could shoot their cufflinks. lol

It does appear to be threads but only Roadquest can verify this.

Upvote 0
worse come to worse anything that fit down the barrel --pea gravel -- chopped nails --you name it they'd shot it so would you if your life depended on it . cuz a bullet vs a bayonet -- put money on the bullet .

Upvote 0
Roadquest said:
It's at 1" 3/4 long. That's not threads. It seem to be twisted metal, iron maybe?

The lead pieces on the ends, will not screw off.

Roadquest
But what is the caliber? What is the lead diameter?

I cropped it for you. It shows too big for my screen.

Attachments

• lead unk roadquest.jpg
    lead unk roadquest.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 495
Upvote 0
Chain Shot and Bar Shot
BarChainShot-03.jpg

"Bar shot and chain shot were most often used in naval applications. Bar shot consisted of two spherical balls of shot joined together with a bar. Chain shot also consisted of two balls of shot, but they were joined together by a chain. The principle of these types of shot was that they could be fired at the masts and rigging of ships and their whirling action would inflict severe damage."

http://www.aeragon.com/o/am/index.html

Upvote 0
plehbah said:
ivan salis said:
worse come to worse anything that fit down the barrel --pea gravel -- chopped nails --you name it they'd shot it so would you if your life depended on it . cuz a bullet vs a bayonet -- put money on the bullet .

Can you imagine the horror and despair upon being shot with a mackerel? This is why the southern forces used so many blunderbusses.

GESUNDHEIT!

:D :D :D :D

Upvote 0
Here's a newspaper article of the New York State Watch Fob...not the same as yours, but might give you a good time frame....

Attachments

• 11-17-2008 7-48-16 AM.jpg
    11-17-2008 7-48-16 AM.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back