What are these

eborac

Jan 15, 2005
North Queensland, Australia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
hi all,
my old buddy Dave Richardson found these on Thursday Island (between australia & New Guinea) last week and is hoping to get them identified.
the comb is obvious however, is that company still operating ?
comb is just over 4 " long. Michael Udow mens Outfitters, 77 Main St. Winnipeg.
the disc is 1" across and brass. could be a watch back or locket.
the rectangular case appears to be a chinese cigarette case just under 4" long.
cheers HH

Attachments

• DSCN4955.jpg
    DSCN4955.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 824
  • DSCN4951.jpg
    DSCN4951.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 827
  • DSCN4952.jpg
    DSCN4952.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 815
  • DSCN4972.jpg
    DSCN4972.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 817
I'm more fascinated with the comb! That business doesn't exist anymore and when i looked in the Winnipeg phone book, there was only 4 Udow's listed. Next time I am at the library, I'll look at the old directories and find out what years that company was in business.
That comb travelled pretty far!
Dave.

Upvote 0
I really like that little box. Looks like it might be silver, I would have a jeweler straighten it out. I don't know what it is, maybe some kind of mourning locket that a piece of hair would have been kept in? Match holder? Is there a striker on it? Whatever it is-it's a great find!!!

Upvote 0
Sara77 said:
I really like that little box. Looks like it might be silver, I would have a jeweler straighten it out. I don't know what it is, maybe some kind of mourning locket that a piece of hair would have been kept in? Match holder? Is there a striker on it? Whatever it is-it's a great find!!!
Snuff box?

Upvote 0
Nice case but its to big for snuff, is there any signs of there ever being a strap inside? a cigarette case would have once had a strap to hold them in place.
My guess is its an oriental trinket tin, could even be a card case :-\

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back