What are these rocks?

Medicinemanj

Greenie
Dec 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So unless it worked the first 4 times I tried, this is my first post on here. I’m not good with geology, but I’ve found a lot of Native American artifacts. These two were found in close proximity. You may not can tell, but the rock in the first four pics has been flaked (given the high impact ripples) and also ground several places...mainly around the edges. You may can see the shiny areas. It feels heavy for its size. The second rock has layers chipped off on one corner (possibly by accident) and seems to have ground down to form this triangular shape. Hopefully this gets posted successfully. I watched a tutorial but any additional advice will be appreciated. I’ll have a lot more to come in the future if all goes smooth 79EC26A1-1DEE-4009-ADB3-62821B3F64A5.jpeg538297D6-B6B9-4862-894C-208E671011C1.jpeg9ADFF0F8-3262-4C00-BF9C-F8CEB9ADEB3A.jpeg5F10FAD7-A41A-4E9F-87F7-ED4B54C52A3A.jpegBA7B1A43-A6DF-4DC7-9DD9-CE469ADC1787.jpeg4FB2BE2F-0BE3-4B07-86A1-C03E1931A375.jpeg45054974-82C3-4FF4-885D-3C615F6A3D07.jpegF16F7FD4-2C03-47AC-9F08-577DDB78D581.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
Thank you huntindog and to the other two guys who offered help. I only mentioned where they were found because I was essentially being asked the location. The artifacts that were dug within a couple feet were undoubtedly moved from their original natural location, so I didn’t want to rule out that possibility for these and I believe I got down a wrong track with a few people who may have just misunderstood

Upvote 0
My opinion... First rock appears to be bone, the speckles. Fossilized wood would show them in rings and bone in random patterns. It's a unique look to vitrified bone. Note even coral shows symmetry to patterns in fossils... Bone shows no symmetry in patterns.

Second is just a sedimentary rock...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your imput rocks a lot. I appreciate logical and factual based evidence to create my reality and there seems to be a lot of people on here who do just the opposite and genuinely and unequivocally ignore any type of facts so that they match their reality. I guess it’s possible to view fossilized bone as a natural rock since there’s no clear defined way to say otherwise, but you were the first to provide me any rationale that backs up your opinion. While receiving a bachelors of health science I placed an emphasis in a field that closely studied bone structure and I picked up on this as well. It’s what I think it is as well and why I posted it here. At the end of the month, there will be a state geologist at my lapidary rock and mineral class who can ID whatever I bring for him. If I found anything here, whatsoever, that went against this, I probably wouldn’t bring it to him. I have a few degrees myself and understand he spent a lot of time getting his PhD and don’t want to bring him plain ole natural rocks.

Upvote 0
Tamrock, were you referring to the larger or smaller rock when you said it looked sedimentary? If you were referring to the smaller piece, have a look at this rock that I’ve attached. It has some similarities and was also found at a campsite.View attachment 1682090View attachment 1682092
Even that one I'm sure has been formed by the natural forces of erosion.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your imput rocks a lot. I appreciate logical and factual based evidence to create my reality and there seems to be a lot of people on here who do just the opposite and genuinely and unequivocally ignore any type of facts so that they match their reality. I guess it’s possible to view fossilized bone as a natural rock since there’s no clear defined way to say otherwise, but you were the first to provide me any rationale that backs up your opinion. While receiving a bachelors of health science I placed an emphasis in a field that closely studied bone structure and I picked up on this as well. It’s what I think it is as well and why I posted it here. At the end of the month, there will be a state geologist at my lapidary rock and mineral class who can ID whatever I bring for him. If I found anything here, whatsoever, that went against this, I probably wouldn’t bring it to him. I have a few degrees myself and understand he spent a lot of time getting his PhD and don’t want to bring him plain ole natural rocks.

I don't need a degree to understand that your original post was designed to suggest, or convince, that your rocks were Native American Artifacts.

Upvote 0
A few examples of randomly speckled material (not " a unique look to vitrified bone", quite the opposite) that doesn't exhibit growth rings (palm trees are on the top of the list of trees that don't have growth rings) and that is readily available in exactly the area yours was found.

Palmoxylon, a pseudomorph chalcedony

Louisiana State fossil
Texas State stone

Two out of three of these have been "worked" ... hint: one was chipped and one was sawed ...
Palmwood.jpg

Does this Louisiana stone look worked ? ... hint: yes
The random speckles are not evidence of bone ... they are a trait found in a material known as Palmoxylon.
PalmBowl.jpg

The ones on the right can't possibly be petrified palm wood because they don't look like the one on the left. /s
Hint: These random speckles are on a rock known as Palmoxylon. Can you spot any signs of workmanship?

Palmspeckled.jpg

Common mistake. There are over 200 species of Palmoxylon. A diverse group with diverse traits.
Hint: Some of these show signs of being worked. They are made from fossilized material known as Palmoxylon.

Palm variety.jpg

As to your second rock, nothing I've said or am saying, applies to the second rock other than the fact that it is similar to the first rock only in the fact that neither exhibits any sign of being worked.

Upvote 0
Thank you huntindog and to the other two guys who offered help. I only mentioned where they were found because I was essentially being asked the location. The artifacts that were dug within a couple feet were undoubtedly moved from their original natural location, so I didn’t want to rule out that possibility for these and I believe I got down a wrong track with a few people who may have just misunderstood

I can't help with the identification of the larger rock but believe Plug N Play has likely identified it. The smaller triangular rock is likely a sedimentary rock that broke or eroded out from it's original location and it appears that the rock layer it came from was formed in layers over many millions of years. As for the rocks being found in proximity to a Native American site that may have been far from their origin. I sometimes find it hard to understand that while millions of folks on this earth collect rocks, some can't understand that Native Americans also collected rocks. We may never understand why they collected some rocks but they either liked the looks of them or thought that they might find a use for them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back