What a day! Two State and two British coppers.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Early last week I hit a former homesite where I previously had some luck. I started by searching away from the cellar hole for a change, but it was way too overgrown with brush and thorns. Discouraged and ready to relocate, I decided to try my luck near the hole again before leaving. I shortly got a nice coin tone about 30 feet from the hole, which turned out to be a 1787 Connecticut copper (maybe a Miller 6.1 - M). Psyched to not get skunked, I worked my way to within 5 or 6 feet of the hole. I soon after got another coin sound, and dug a nice 1806 King George III. Totally shocked now, I continued around the hole and got two more coins within a foot of each other; a 1788 Vermont copper (a first for me) and an early King George III, I think. What a day! I have no idea how I missed all these coins before, having searched around this hole several times with both large and small coils.. Also found several buttons too. Thanks and good luck out there.
IMG_7834.jpeg
IMG_7819.jpeg
IMG_7822.jpeg
IMG_7825.jpeg
IMG_7826.jpeg
IMG_7829.jpeg
IMG_7882.jpeg
IMG_7830.jpeg

Upvote 10
That's a day to remember.
Congratulations on the great looking coppers.

Sometimes the coil and the dirt are aligned.

Very cool ..two different colonial coppers !
The 1806 halfpenny looks legit but the other one is surely a contemporary counterfeit .
Great hunt
Contemporary counterfeit… cool. I suspected the CT copper is counterfeit, but was unsure about the early George III. Thanks!

Great finds! Congratulations! Thanks for posting.

Early last week I hit a former homesite where I previously had some luck. I started by searching away from the cellar hole for a change, but it was way too overgrown with brush and thorns. Discouraged and ready to relocate, I decided to try my luck near the hole again before leaving. I shortly got a nice coin tone about 30 feet from the hole, which turned out to be a 1787 Connecticut copper (maybe a Miller 6.1 - M). Psyched to not get skunked, I worked my way to within 5 or 6 feet of the hole. I soon after got another coin sound, and dug a nice 1806 King George III. Totally shocked now, I continued around the hole and got two more coins within a foot of each other; a 1788 Vermont copper (a first for me) and an early King George III, I think. What a day! I have no idea how I missed all these coins before, having searched around this hole several times with both large and small coils.. Also found several buttons too. Thanks and good luck out there.
View attachment 2170682View attachment 2170675View attachment 2170676View attachment 2170677View attachment 2170678View attachment 2170679View attachment 2170680View attachment 2170681
That’s how you do it! Way to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back