Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made it out today to 1600s home site on the York River in Gloucester County Virginia. The house site is on the bank of the river but is in the middle of really high corn stubble which is near impossible to detect in. Right on the bank is a clearing where I was able to swing freely in and made a few nice finds. First I found KG III copper which is pretty worn:

6.jpg

Then I got a really loud silver signal which turned out to be four Carolus III 1/2 reals fused together:

2.jpg

7.jpg

I also found an assortment of buttons and other period brass pieces:

5.jpg

3.jpg

As I was leaving and putting the chain back on the gate I found 1926 SLQ sitting on top of the ground.

4.jpg

Hopefully they'll plant bean in the spring so come next winter I'll be able to really hit the house site hard and find some 17th century artifacts and coins.

Upvote 19
I'll bring my 5" coil next time and give it a shot. The owner told me there's been another guy detecting there recently and I'm wondering if its your buddy from Middlesex.

I'm pretty sure its not my buddy. He hardly has time to get out anymore, and when he does it's usually local. He would have mentioned it to me as well. If you have some competition you'd better get back in there ASAP and hit it hard before the other guy beats you to it. BTW - have you done any research on that site?

Man it don't get much better than that.Awesome buddy.

I'm pretty sure its not my buddy. He hardly has time to get out anymore, and when he does it's usually local. He would have mentioned it to me as well. If you have some competition you'd better get back in there ASAP and hit it hard before the other guy beats you to it. BTW - have you done any research on that site?

I've done tons of research on the area and it took me only 10 seconds to find the house site. I'm going to get back there this Friday or Saturday and swing my small coil.

I've done tons of research on the area and it took me only 10 seconds to find the house site. I'm going to get back there this Friday or Saturday and swing my small coil.

That's some pretty good research Joey if you were able to find it that fast .....LOL! Good luck next time there and hope you can pull out some silver. Look for those pits too.

You're gonna want to hit the iron patch. That's where the goodies are. And even if it's one of those where you don't find much where the structure sat, the plow would still have pulled relics, coins, and buttons into that zone over the years when it was plowed.

Great find, Definitely fused together by a fire! I'd display them as-is. Little hope of getting them unstuck without breaking one of those thin little suckers.

Cheers,

Buck

Nice finds, I'd sure leave those silvers as is, galvanics will likely have damaged them where they were together.
awesome collectors piece as it is! Super recovery :occasion14:

I love the fused coins. I wouldnt try to seperate them, the find is much more unique fused. Good luck with that site, sounds like it might really produce if the stubble is removed. Heres hoping they plant peanuts next year.
-Evan

Rotten eggs? Be careful, that's Hydrogen Sulphide gas. It's heavier than air and tends to collect in low areas of ground. This stuff is deadly. If you hit a pocket where there's a high concentration it can take your sense of smell away. You will never know what hit you. You pass out and unless someone else is there and realises what's going on and how to deal with it, you are a gonner.

Its fire damage that fused them together, probably best leaving them, although soaking them in pure lemon juice will probably get them unstuck.

Those are really great finds. I drooled a little seeing the Spanish short stack lol...I'd leave them like that!

Man... some sweet finds, Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back