Well My Battle Plan Worked - Seated Quarter

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting skunked on my previous hunt got me to thinking and planning. How the heck did I find all those wheat pennies and not a single silver coin. Even with all the EMI that I was contending with, I was still finding wheat pennies, so I should have found silver coins as well. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my search coil over a silver coin.

Today's plan of attack was to rig my CTX 3030 with the 6 inch search coil and use my HF search coil on my Deus. I figured the smaller search coil and higher frequency search coil would handle the EMI better, which they did.

I got an early start this morning to beat the heat and rush hour traffic. When I got there instead of starting the yard that I previously detected, I decided to detect the curb strip across the street with my CTX. I've been over that area a dozen times, but not with CTX with the 6 inch search coil.

My very first audio response didn't sound smooth and the ID was showing maybe at best a wheat penny near some iron. It was super shallow, maybe three inches or so deep. I was thinking maybe it could be fresh dropped silver ring. When I flipped the plug over out pops a 1877 Seated Quarter. Now that's a nice way to start the day out.

I put up the CTX and got out the Deus and walked across the street to the yard where I found all those wheat pennies and not a single silver coin. My very first target was 1962 Rosie dime. How I missed that on my last hunt is beyond me. I've only been hunting about 15 to 20 minutes and have two silvers.

For the rest of the hunt, which didn't last too long, I found a couple tokens, some clad and a few wheat pennies. It was getting to be around 10 o'clock and it was beginning to heat up, so I headed for the house.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_2229.JPG
    IMG_2229.JPG
    585.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2230.JPG
    IMG_2230.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_2232.JPG
    759.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2233.JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2234.JPG
    IMG_2234.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2238.JPG
    IMG_2238.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2239.JPG
    IMG_2239.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 52
I wished they make quarters like they used to. I'm not loving the states quarters at all and it sucks when you dig one and see 1863 at the top only to find out it just clad.:icon_scratch:

Seated is just awesome! then you have the small silver and a couple of tokens...win win win!

If that quarter could talk....

Way to get them silvers in the pouch!

Nice quarter! I need to find one this year. It's been about 12 years since one and only

Sweet finds. Love the seated. All i can match you with recently is the Rosie unfortunately! HaHa

I wished they make quarters like they used to. I'm not loving the states quarters at all and it sucks when you dig one and see 1863 at the top only to find out it just clad.:icon_scratch:
Yeah, state quarters suck.

Seated is just awesome! then you have the small silver and a couple of tokens...win win win!
Thanks! I get lucky every once in awhile.

If that quarter could talk....

Way to get them silvers in the pouch!
Thanks! I'd like to be able go back in time and see where that quarter has been. Back in 1877 that quarter would have bought a lot.

Nice quarter! I need to find one this year. It's been about 12 years since one and only
Thanks! It may be 12 years before I find another one.

Sweet finds. Love the seated. All i can match you with recently is the Rosie unfortunately! HaHa
Thanks! You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Wow, killer finds!!!
Thanks! That Seated put a big smile on my face from the get go, so I was smiling for the entire hunt.

Great job Tabman. I like that Seated Quarter.
Thanks! They don't pop up around here too often.

Great finds. Seated coins are always bring me a shot of adrenaline. Congrats!
Thanks! Finding one sure gets your heart to racing.

tabman

A seated quarter is still high on my bucket list

A seated quarter is still high on my bucket list
A few people find a bunch of them and most people never find one. I feel super lucky that I found one.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back