Well, here we go again...

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Billionaire business man Larry Connor and Triton Submarines co-founder Patrick Lahey are planning to take their shiny, new $20 million submersible down to the Titanic. The new craft is named the Triton 4000/2 Abyssal Explorer which, to me is a very risky name. If something goes wrong with this one it will be forever referred to as the Abysmal Explorer. It's actually a pretty cool looking craft, but that sure does seem like a lot of glass to take down more than 12,000 feet. Connor was very critical of the OceanGate submersible, and apparently wanted to build one that was better. Here's the article from the New York Post:

Ohio billionaire plans to take $20M sub to Titanic site to prove industry’s safer after OceanGate implosion

The article doesn't have a picture of it, which is why I linked to the Triton Submarines page in the first paragraph. So, any volunteers?

Billionaire business man Larry Connor and Triton Submarines co-founder Patrick Lahey are planning to take their shiny, new $20 million submersible down to the Titanic. The new craft is named the Triton 4000/2 Abyssal Explorer which, to me is a very risky name. If something goes wrong with this one it will be forever referred to as the Abysmal Explorer. It's actually a pretty cool looking craft, but that sure does seem like a lot of glass to take down more than 12,000 feet. Connor was very critical of the OceanGate submersible, and apparently wanted to build one that was better. Here's the article from the New York Post:

Ohio billionaire plans to take $20M sub to Titanic site to prove industry’s safer after OceanGate implosion

The article doesn't have a picture of it, which is why I linked to the Triton Submarines page in the first paragraph. So, any volunteers?
I think they have more money than sense.

Triton has been building subs since 2008. They have built subs that will reach full ocean depth or 33,000 feet. Before you go yap, yap, yap go to their website and read what their accomplishes have been and what they built. Just because Stockton Rush was delusional and unhinged doesn't mean that other sub builders are. Take a look at the accomplishments of Graham Hawkes, Patrick Lahey and Phil Nytten so that you know what you are talking about. Triton built the sub for Victor Viscovo to reach the bottom of all five oceans in the world.

Or how about James Cameron who went to the bottom of the Marianas Trench with the Deepsea Challenger who was built by a friend of mine, Ron Allum in Australia.

Triton has been building subs since 2008. They have built subs that will reach full ocean depth or 33,000 feet. Before you go yap, yap, yap go to their website and read what their accomplishes have been and what they built.
I'm not dissing the company. I'm just skeptical about the technology as it applies to deep sea tourism. I look at these tourist class submersibles as being in the same stage of development as electric cars. Both are great for running around the neighborhood or a quick jaunt to the grocery store, but I wouldn't take a cross country trip in one. On the other hand, if I was 100 years old I probably wouldn't have any problem taking a run down to the Titanic wreck. It would definitely be an awesome experience, and if the submersible imploded it would still be a much better death than withering away in a nursing home, eating crappy food and wearing diapers. So in the end, it comes down to a calculus of what you have to gain and what you have to lose.

Finally an excellent job of investigative journalism by Mark Harris(on WIRED.COM) showing just how delusional and unhinged Stockton Rush was.
Also a new book called "Expedition Deep Ocean" by Josh Young which tells bout Victor Viscovo attempts to reach the 5 oceans deepest depths with a sub built by Triton. An excellent read.

I wouldn't get on/in one of those but applaud those that do. I'm not afraid of the ocean, I had an offshore boat for 20+ years. I just know how unpredictable & unforgiving the ocean can be. Still, it makes more sense to me to explore the ocean than space.

Still, it makes more sense to me to explore the ocean than space.
It really seems like six of one, half a dozen of the other to me. Both require humans to create artificial environments. Both offer the potential for untold wealth. Both require an exceptional type of human to endure the hardships for long periods of time. But what is harder on the body, space radiation and lack of gravity, or high pressures that require long decompression periods? At least for under water we can look to how submariners have fared over the last century to get an idea of what it is like. For space we will have to wait until we enter the Star Trek age, when large numbers of people are living on very large spaceships/habitats, and hopefully with artificial gravity. I guess one way of seeing how you would fare now would be to consider how long could you live on one floor of a fancy hotel, without ever leaving or being able to take a breath of fresh air. Don't underestimate how precious it is for us to be able to step outside and do that. Even if you lived on Mars, inside of a 1 mile diameter dome that is 1 mile high, you still aren't going to get that breath of fresh air that we take for granted here. I don't know how long I could live in either environment, but I do know it isn't years at a time.

I believe that any time you want to do some Opinionating in public that you should start off with some light research, starting at the website for the company - we can find that here --> https://tritonsubs.com/subs/
Triton is headquartered here in Sebastian.
One could then check out their YouTube channel here ---> https://www.youtube.com/user/TritonSubs
And THEN you could read through the Ask Me Anything that the president of Triton did on Reddit here - >
Point - the pressure vessel on Triton subs are made of there Advanced Versatile Acrylic, not glass. The rest of the pressure hull structure is Grade 5 titanium.
Conclusion - They are pretty damned safe, but they sure aren't cheap.
I'd get in one tomorrow if the damned door was bigger.

I wouldn't get on/in one of those but applaud those that do. I'm not afraid of the ocean, I had an offshore boat for 20+ years. I just know how unpredictable & unforgiving the ocean can be. Still, it makes more sense to me to explore the ocean than space.
Yeah, So far I ain't seeing nothing out there in space worth spending all the money that it takes to put humans into space. Seeing the first man go to the moon was very thrilling to live through during those times, but that was more of settling the score with the other guys. The greatest sporting event ever it was. To me that was all worth it. The ocean has so much more for the benefit of mankind imo.

Yeah, So far I ain't seeing nothing out there in space worth spending all the money that it takes to put humans into space.
Well, a large part of the technology and materials we use every day derives from the space program since its inception, including the technology that goes into diving and exploring the oceans. From medicine to TVs, and from phones to sensors and other equipment in all areas of industry and science we are enjoying those benefits every day. And for some reason, I still miss Space Food Sticks now and then...

Point - the pressure vessel on Triton subs are made of there Advanced Versatile Acrylic, not glass.
Heh, heh...I was using the term "glass" generically and as a turn of a phrase, not literally. Not sure how thick true glass would have to be to submerge even a fraction of what Titanic depths are, but I doubt you would even be able to see through it clearly. At this point, given the choice I would opt for long term living down below over being a billion miles out in space. At least when you are in the ocean it's a lot easier to return to living free and easy under wide open skies than making the billion mile return trip.

Had a friend who served on a nuclear submarine when he was in the Navy. Don't know if he was being serious or jiving me when he said that on their longest submersion they only had one guy wig out, and since they don't surface for any reason other than an emergency the put him in a padded room and kept him sedated on morphine until they surfaced and were able to get him off. He also said submariners ate the best food across the military, and that's something I don't doubt.

My friends brother was on a nuke he said after being underwater for weeks on end people get a little edgy hence the great food. The only thing they did to lighten the mood was play pranks on each other LOL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back