Weird SUN this evening

There seems to be opinions that this was a fake picture. My god strike me dead if this is a fake picture. I was driving down a road and seen the sun setting ., i thought over the hills and trees it was neat. No editing was done to this picture
I never said anything about it being fake, just that it looks very strange to be a sun, ... consider looking at the clouds above this disc, you can see the clouds are open and the sun reflecting off the clouds above, like a sunset.. right ? but the way the light reflects off those clouds would indicate that the sun is BEHIND you shining in that direction... from ABOVE AND BEHIND YOU.... Also the sun is very bright, but whatever this is it does NOT appear to be reflecting off the clouds from UNDERNEATH.. from where you can see this thing... In the picture, like I said before, it appears to be in front of and below the clouds...

Of course all of this could be just an optical illusion of some sort, and just seems to APPEAR this way...

Seen similar and occurs in countries prone to bushfires when sun is filtered through/behind smoke. Depends on how dense the smoke is.

I think you'll find that 'cloud' is a smoke plume.

For some reason I can no longer transfer pictures from my Iphone. I have to email them to my pc's While driving I seen this setting so i pulled over and took the pictures. When i got home i emailed them to my pc's

There seems to be opinions that this was a fake picture. My god strike me dead if this is a fake picture. I was driving down a road and seen the sun setting ., i thought over the hills and trees it was neat. No editing was done to this picture

Gare, my apologies if I offended you...wasn't intentional.

I've been one of those people that was very gullible....always took what people told me as the truth. As I've gotten older I became very skeptic of things that just don't add up. I honestly thought you were just pulling our leg(s).

I now have no doubt you took an image of what you saw, but I still do not believe it to be the Sun. It's too rounded looking, and appears to be under and in-front of the clouds.

Here's is the object at 200%..looks more like Pac-man. Very much a curiosity!

Sun11.jpg

The sun behind smoke/clouds can look all sorts of strange. Just like I've seen photos of the moon "in front of" the clouds behind it. It's an optical illusion (and one you can actually replicate with a bright light, though I forget the details at the moment).

Someone mentioned ball lightning earlier which I looked up. I think it could be ball lightning. Or of course, aliens!:laughing7: Whatever it is, it makes a really interesting photo.

The big clouds around it looks like they have a small glow to them. I think it is clouds that are creating the distorations

Attachments

• EB2FC06F-542C-482F-A521-1B9F3811D79E.jpeg
    EB2FC06F-542C-482F-A521-1B9F3811D79E.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 4
Yeah.... i just spent some time researching pictures of smoke and cloud sun pictures and saw nothing that would definitively fit your picture posted here.
Resemble yes.
Exact no.
Perhaps the camera itself and other factors made this effect.
But as of this moment... i will not write this off as just smoke.

Also... i will point out the fact of something else... which is why i researched this to begin with and struck me odd...
Its the position... the light casting and shadowing.
Its ALL OFF to be the sun.

Gare... personally.... i think you may have caught something very unique.

Last edited:
Yeah.... i just spent some time researching pictures of smoke and cloud sun pictures and saw nothing that would definitively fit your picture posted here.
Resemble yes.
Exact no.
Perhaps the camera itself and other factors made this effect.
But as of this moment... i will not write this off as just smoke.

Also... i will point out the fact of something else... which is why i researched this to begin with and struck me odd...
Its the position... the light casting and shadowing.
Its ALL OFF to be the sun.

Gare... personally.... i think you may have caught something very unique.
Thanks ARC There was a lot of clouds that evening. If you look close you can see a lot of the clouds glow. If you want to see the original picture i took with my Iphone I will send it to you

Lol, I'm in Australia where there are bushfires every summer or harzard reduction burn offs in the winter.

You see this a lot and of course they are not 'alike' each time, why would they be? That's like saying something is wrong because an ocean wave is not identical each time. The sun looking like this will vary each time with smoke density, wind, direction, distance, angle of observation etc.

I'm not sure what is so hard to understand that it is a common natural phenominom but I guess it might seem strange to those who have never seen it before or in a country not prone to bushfires.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back