🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Weird Shaped Hand Forged Item ID?

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4030.jpegIMG_4031.jpegIMG_4038.jpegIMG_4039.jpegIMG_4040.jpegIMG_4036.jpegIMG_4041.jpeg

Found this item caked in rust and mud. I cleaned it up because it was found 3 feet away from where I found a Dandy Button. The area has yielded trapper and logger items. This was found at a shoreline along the Columbia River. The item is tapered from the head and flattens out to the base that has three attachment holes. The 3 1/4 inch cut out gap appears to be sharpened (or has a diagonal cut surface) on one side. The 2 3/4 inch semi triangular head has an indented surface near the tip. It is crudely made and hand forged. I suspect it predates the 20th century. There may have been a hut/cabin on the bluff above the waterline….

Any guesses?

Last edited:
View attachment 2171878View attachment 2171879View attachment 2171880View attachment 2171881View attachment 2171882View attachment 2171883View attachment 2171884

Found this item caked in rust and mud. I cleaned it up because it was found 3 feet away from where I found a Dandy Button. The area has yielded trapper and logger items. This was found at a shoreline along the Columbia River. The item is tapered from the head and flattens out to the base that has three attachment holes. The 3 1/4 inch cut out gap appears to be sharpened (or has a diagonal cut surface) on one side. The 2 3/4 inch semi triangular head has an indented surface near the tip. It is crudely made and hand forged. I suspect it predates the 20th century. There may have been a hut/cabin on the bluff above the waterline….

Any guesses?
Might be an early log dog.
Leather was attached to the flat side for pulling.
It could be an early hinge part.
The pointed end hammered into the beam, leather attached to the flat side for a hinge.

Upvote 1
Leather was attached to the flat side for pulling.
It could be an early hinge part.
The pointed end hammered into the beam, leather attached to the flat side for a hinge.
Pepper:

Excellent reply. Both ideas have me on "web surfing". Hinge? That is my area of focus!

I notice the same triangle hole pattern in this wrought iron hinge.

Attachments

• IMG_4042.png
    IMG_4042.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Upvote 2
View attachment 2171878View attachment 2171879View attachment 2171880View attachment 2171881View attachment 2171882View attachment 2171883View attachment 2171884

Any guesses?
Initially I thought old hinge, but then I thought maybe gate latch and then I thought a crudely made log pickaroo… Someone will be along to help, good luck!

Upvote 1
1727887671128.jpeg
😁​

I was thinking hinge plate, then door/gate latch, but...
I'm unclear on the taper...
1727887866332.jpeg
Is the pointed end on the left or right here?

IDK enough farming or logging--suburban kid.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back