Weird Nude Statues...would LOVE help IDing ***BETTER PICS ADDED***

Lauri99999

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2008
Weird Nude Statues...would LOVE help ID'ing ***BETTER PICS ADDED***

I have been told (by an aunt that lives in another state) that I bought these on eBay years ago, but I swear I don't remember, let alone WHY I would've even been attracted to these. They are so creepy to me.
Anyway, I've left them in a drawer and every once in a while I take them out, google the heck out of them, and nothing. I've also tried on numerous occasions to photograph them, and they do NOT photograph well, as you can see.
I originally thought they were candle holders, but I don't think so. They look hand made because of some of the lines I can see, no seams. They are heavy, and some sort of metal. I thought it was iron, because of the weight (I don't know exact weight), but the bottom has a couple spots the eye can barely see of a gold like material. There is a little rust on the 'stand' where it has chipped. There is also A LOT of patina throughout. Even though heavy, they feel fragile like if I dropped them they would break.
Another thing that leads me to believe it is hand made is in the taller statue, inside the 'basket' on his head, there is a 'clump' of whatever metal it is. Almost looks like if a candle burned down and left a clump of wax in its holder, but it is NOT wax, it is the same metal the statues are made from.
The taller one with the basket on his head is 5 1/2", the one holding the basket is almost 4 3/4". Also, I'm thinking there is a reason that the one with the basket on his head has one hand on his stomach and one on his chest (more up on his neck.) The other just has one hand on his stomach because he is holding the basket with his other hand. Both baskets have a pattern on them, some circles and VVVV pattern all the way around.
Both are obviously nude and not anatomically 'correct' although I won't go into detail as hopefully you will be able to see in the picture.
Sorry this is so long but it's so hard to see the details in the pics that you would be able to see with your eyes. There are MANY imperfections and aging that really looks like they are NOT from a mold.
As I've written this and have been holding them a lot, my fingers smell and feel like I've been digging in a bunch of dirty change. I don't know if that helps detect what kind of metal they are made of.
Any help with this would be appreciated. They're driving me crazy!
Thanks!
Lauri

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,231
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,084
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,069
  • Picture5.jpg
    Picture5.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,091
Re: Weird Nude Statues...would LOVE help ID'ing ***BETTER PICS ADDED***

http://www.arttribal.com/AAFIGURES/index.htm

I would say they are African, looks like a cross between a Bamileke, and a Baule, holding an offering bowl. Facinating culture. There is a Bamileke that is close on the page above. Here is some info on the Baule.

Baule figures can be among the most elegant and designed pieces in Africa. Many show careful execution of face, coiffure and scarification details, with refined forms but no loss of expressiveness and power. The quiet, dignified figures can embody a nature spirit, asie usu, or serve as a spiritual spouse, blolo bian or blolo bla; either must be placated with care. They functioned as the home of a spirit to whom sacrifices were made. Ours range from small, delicate, simple pieces to several larger, more powerful figures.

Maybe you folks can find an exact match? Or maybe some artist combined some cultures to come up with their own unique statue? :icon_study:

Upvote 0
Re: Weird Nude Statues...would LOVE help ID'ing ***BETTER PICS ADDED***

Country Girl: THANK YOU for that info! Wow! Definitely more on the Bamileke side, looking very much like the one in the link you gave me. Especially when you look at the larger picture and you can see the faint 'line' down the back, just like on mine, and the aging look is almost identical except for the reddish parts. Also, it says that the Bamileke "generally depict women."
Sorry it took me so long to write back, as I was looking all this info up. I'm still confused because I don't understand why I have 2 MEN? I don't think it's Baule because of that reason, and the Baule that I've looked up are way more 'pretty' than my figures.
But we're getting closer!
Still wondering if anyone knows if there is a reason for the placement of their hands?
I had posted on another site, and I was told that "they were made for tourists and if it's pure bronze it wouldn't rust?" I don't know about the bronze comment, but like I said, and I'm not a pro, but from the aging I see on these pieces, I don't think they were 'made' to look like that.
If bronze doesn't rust, then what does?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back