🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Weird diamond jewelry piece? And other mystery item.

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi everyone,

Found some cool brass items from the 1800s at a site that dates to the early 1800s based on other finds. I'm pretty excited to have found what appears to be a part off of some copper/brass jewelry with 1 of 6 diamonds still present with the item (there are 5 other empty slots for diamonds). When I pulled it out of the dirt clod, I split the dirt perfectly and one half of the dirt contained this one diamond and the other half, the metal piece. I desperately searched the hole for any other remaining diamonds but found nothing. Too bad they don't register on the detector. lol Also any chance this is a real diamond? Thoughts? I feel like it'd be hard for them to fake a diamond back then without plastic and glasswork was not this intricate I wouldn't think. Even if it is fake, still cool. Any ideas what it is?

Also, included are pictures of a floral-patterned brass item that looks like it rotated on a tiny hinge. It reminds me of something that you would use your finger to tap up and down, but for what? Any help is greatly appreciated as always!

Attachments

• IMG_2059.jpg
    IMG_2059.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    904.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2053.jpg
    IMG_2053.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2051.jpg
    IMG_2051.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 30
The first item looks like it could be the broken flip top to a fancy cigarette lighter.

Upvote 1
The stone doesn't appear to be diamond.
Dull, cloudy, common cut.
Paste diamonds were popular.
Looking at the piece it looks like they've been gone for sometime.
The only other way is to sift the surrounding soils.

Upvote 1
The stone doesn't appear to be diamond.
Dull, cloudy, common cut.
Paste diamonds were popular.
Looking at the piece it looks like they've been gone for sometime.
The only other way is to sift the surrounding soils.
I had my doubts about it being real. Definitely looks like it could be a fake but wasn't sure what it would've been made of back then. I also thought about sifting the soil, but I think those "diamonds" are too small for a sifter and would just fall right through the screen. Thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back