Washington Spiel Munze!

arbuckle

Mar 24, 2024
I had an hour to kill, so went back to my spot I found a half reale and seated dime almost next to each other. I decided to try a plot of grass since I was tired of dodging branches.

Got a scratchy 12-13 tone and went for it, just digging everything since I had hit this area several times. Out pops something coin shaped, but definitely not a nickel. I could make out a bust, but didn’t recognize it.
IMG_9335.jpeg

After rinsing, I could see some words and made out ‘WASHINGTON’. A short search later shows this is a General Washington Spiel Munze, or “play money”, made around 1860 by Ludwig Christian Lauer in Nuremberg, Germany. The edge unfortunately crumbled slightly as I rinsed it, but the details remain intact. Nonetheless my coolest not monetary coin find yet.
IMG_9338.jpeg

IMG_9339.jpeg

Also got a 1898 IHP right next to it
IMG_9340.jpeg
IMG_9341.jpeg

A few buttons:
IMG_9342.jpeg

IMG_9343.jpeg

IMG_9334.jpeg

IMG_9337.jpeg

Upvote 18
Not sure where you’re located, but pretty sure the first button pictured is navy. Couldnt find an exact match in Albert’s or tice. The eagles left wing is tucked in particularly close to the body. Is there a back mark? That may help with id

Not sure where you’re located, but pretty sure the first button pictured is navy. Couldnt find an exact match in Albert’s or tice. The eagles left wing is tucked in particularly close to the body. Is there a back mark? That may help with id
image.jpg

image.jpg

Unfortunately no details on the back of either. One does appear to have been gold plated. Located in Lafayette Hill, PA.

I had an hour to kill, so went back to my spot I found a half reale and seated dime almost next to each other. I decided to try a plot of grass since I was tired of dodging branches.

Got a scratchy 12-13 tone and went for it, just digging everything since I had hit this area several times. Out pops something coin shaped, but definitely not a nickel. I could make out a bust, but didn’t recognize it.
View attachment 2173256
After rinsing, I could see some words and made out ‘WASHINGTON’. A short search later shows this is a General Washington Spiel Munze, or “play money”, made around 1860 by Ludwig Christian Lauer in Nuremberg, Germany. The edge unfortunately crumbled slightly as I rinsed it, but the details remain intact. Nonetheless my coolest not monetary coin find yet.
View attachment 2173259
View attachment 2173260

Also got a 1898 IHP right next to it
View attachment 2173261View attachment 2173262
A few buttons:
View attachment 2173263
View attachment 2173264

View attachment 2173258
View attachment 2173257
really cool saves, well done and thanks for posting

Brother, that Washington Spiel Munze is one heck of a find. I have never heard of that before. Thank you for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back