Washed up on a Treasure Coast Beach, FL

GatorFrog

Nov 26, 2011
SE Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went out for a few hours at one of the beaches on the Treasure Coast (Fl)
I came across this item, just laying there in the sand. It has been in the water for quite some time.
I'm trying to find out how old this thing is.
The outside frame may be pewter, the frame around the glass is brass, the glass looks old (wavy type) and the glasspieces are held by lead.
The "screw" that holds the frame together is some type of round ball, which I would imagine is threated....
Anybody here can tell me if it's 20 years old or 100 years???
Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!
TCFind00004.jpg

TCFind00003.jpg

TCFind00002.jpg

TCFind00001.jpg

TCFind00000.jpg

!! wow!!! can't say how old it is or what it is, but, would suppose it came from a local beach house that was washed away in on of your category 5 storms. From the look of the metal and being on the beach, it's quit a surprise that the glass isn't etched---let alone broken!---- and A Merry Christmas too you, too. daProf ♬♬

Upvote 0
It sorta looks like the remains of an outdoor light fixture. I have some that are made of some sort of cast pot metal with little brass knobs.

Upvote 0
Perhaps a lamp off a ship or boat that grounded there in a storm long ago. At first I thought a window off of an old sailing ship, but the base makes me think lamp of some sort also.

Upvote 0
BosnMate said:
Perhaps a lamp off a ship or boat that grounded there in a storm long ago. At first I thought a window off of an old sailing ship, but the base makes me think lamp of some sort also.
i agree

Upvote 0
First thing that comes to mind is an old lamp post with the wavy glass.

lamp post old glass.jpg

What particular beach was it found at? I have searched those beaches myself, many shipwrecks but also many home items especially window frames for some reason end up in the sea. I have found many aluminum window parts and also some glass. The glass if tossed in the surf will have smooth edges.

Its possible to have been buried in the sand thus preserving it. It looks to me like corroded pot metal or aluminum but if it was mine, I would definitely take it to the Mclarty Museum just to be sure. You never know what can be found on those beaches. Weekdays would probably be best. I have brought items there on Sunday but the curator was never in.

Upvote 0
I have found many unidentified items on those beaches. The salt corrodes aluminum/pot metal/ zinc/ pewter so very quickly.

Attachments

• found on treasure coast.jpg
    found on treasure coast.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,007
Upvote 0
Cool link on the old glass... Thanks !

Thanks for evryone's input.

Upvote 0
Outdoor fixture housing....put up many of these years ago.. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
It looks like part of a 'clear' antique stained glass window that was put in a frame for display. The glass pieces are soldered with lead in stained glass windows. Interesting find, Breezie

Attachments

• ClearStainedglass.jpg
    ClearStainedglass.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 800
Upvote 0
yup, one side of a lantern style light fixture. I would imagine it's not extremely old, and as stated above probable left there by a storm.

Attachments

• detail_lantern_style_light_fixture_leh1_101108s633.jpg
    detail_lantern_style_light_fixture_leh1_101108s633.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 762
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back