Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went MD'ing this morning for a few hours and came up with some items I cannot identify. The site was an encampment during the War of 1812, and possibly the French and Indian War as well. I included the pull tab for size reference.

20180701_123750.jpg

20180701_124102.jpg

20180701_123825.jpg
One of my fellow detectorists suggested that this was from the bottom of a bayonet scabbard.
20180701_123909.jpg

20180701_123957.jpg
Not sure if the shank was threaded.

20180701_123819.jpg
Square nail, about 1.5" long with an oblong head. Much smaller than any I've found in the past.

Last edited:
If it is solid metal and theres a hole or remnants of a post on the back of that round part then it might be a keyhole cover.(the "skabbard tip")

Upvote 0
I'm with Huntindog the pull tab is the only thing I am sure of.....

Upvote 0
That finial looking piece is awfully similar to a scabbard tip, IMHO.

That eye bolt, might be from a flint lock, I do not know them enough to ID it for sure, but someone will come along shortly, that does know. It's part "H" in the attached drawing.

Hopefully your stuff is the real deal. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Attachments

• Parts-of-the-flintlock.png
    Parts-of-the-flintlock.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
Hi AG,
I have the exact piece you have,it is from 1812 found mine during earth works behind Fort Erie Canada. The other pieces are bayonet scabbard clips I have about 7 of those the diamond shaped thing is I think from the top of a flag pole such as "military colors" …...HH,,,,BonzIMG_4063.JPGIMG_4064.JPGIMG_4065.JPG

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies! With your help putting me on the right path, it does appear that piece with the hole through it is a Jaw Screw from a flintlock. I have not been able to match it exactly, but it appears to be British from sometime between the American Revolution, to just after the War of 1812. My timeframe is rough and not very exact. I've had others PM me that the other item is a bayonet scabbard tip. I also saw one on eBay listed as being from 1812 (but that doesn't prove anything).

Now, any leads as to the large ring with the male and female ends? And as to lead ball, any thoughts as to what it is? It weighs 2.5g, is just shy of 0.3" in diameter, has a mold line, and slight flat spot where it was cut from the sprue. But, it's smaller than the 0.39" of a small musket ball.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it is solid metal and theres a hole or remnants of a post on the back of that round part then it might be a keyhole cover.(the "skabbard tip")

Another great tip! It does look a lot like a keyhole cover, but I don't think so this time around. Where the pivot would be on a keyhole cover, this item is somewhat spherical. There does not appear to be any pivot point, and the tail would not lay flat on a keyhole. Either way, I've now learned about keyhole covers for future reference. Much appreciative of the tip!

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure your froend was right about the scabbard piece. These would have been the finial at the top of a brass part that sat at the end of the scabbard, to prevent tearing the bottom.images.jpeg

Upvote 0
1903 pull tab im collecting them i find so many cool findd

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back