Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• buckle (2).jpg
    buckle (2).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 69
Roughly two inches long. Found similar type buckles online 20171017_182033.jpg20171017_181923.jpgthat are claimed to be British Lion Head sword belt buckles.

Upvote 0
The Eagle`s body is on some of our earliest military buttons and that is the head.. i think it a called Herald Eagle and has to do also with the British.
What part of N.Y. r u in... any Rev. War activity in your part of the state ?
Gary

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Eagle`s body is on some of our earliest military buttons and that is the head.. i think it a call Herald Eagle and has to do also with the British.
What part of N.Y. r u in... any Rev. War activity in your part of the state ?
Gary

Was found on Long Island and from what I read there was some activity during the Revolutionary War in the area. Would be amazing if this piece proves to be of that era.

Upvote 0
It's "French To Me"

What is confusing to most is the Romans and French all used the Eagle as their symbol and it was from here that the Americans adopted their symbol.

French.jpg

I believe 1785 French Buckle

Silver Forums at 925-1000.com

Upvote 0
It is one component of what is called an "S-link" 2-piece Military belt-buckle, a type which dates from the very-late 1700s up to today. Still made and used by the Russians on a military dagger-belt -- see the photo below, and look at both ends of the belt, the "S-link" is on the lion-head disc. Also, note the narrow width of the dagger-belt... that's why the opening in your buckle isn't as tall as on a buckle for a Sword-Belt or Pistol Belt buckle.

"S-link" buckles were first used by the French Army in the latter-1700s, then adopted by the British in 1815, and the US Army in 1832. That info is from the book "American Military Belt Plates" by O'Donnell & Campbell. That book shows British and US ones, does not show one with an eagle-head as we see on your find. So, theoretically eliminating British and US ones, my guess is that yours is French, latter-1700s.

AFTER-POSTING update:
When Robot posted his info, I was typing my reply, and got interrupted by a phonecall. I had not seen his post when I wrote mine. I'm pleased to see we are in agreement. :)

Attachments

• buckle_lion-&-snake_WW2-Russian-Navy_Officer-daggerbelt_TN_ID-by-CharlieP.jpg
    buckle_lion-&-snake_WW2-Russian-Navy_Officer-daggerbelt_TN_ID-by-CharlieP.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you all. Based on what you have given, I finally found the one and only article I could find regarding this piece. The link is attached here with a near identical find. There area couple very minor differences but close enough for me. Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine - Ask Mark Parker
I searched high and low for early 19th century patterns and couldn't find this one, French or US. I wonder where Mark Parker got his information from? At any rate we have another example so there you go. Congrats on a great find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back