Jun 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3533.jpeg
IMG_3575.jpeg
IMG_3680.jpeg
IMG_3642.jpeg
IMG_3627.jpeg

Swallowtail butterfly caterpillar. The “eye dots” are to keep birds away.
The walnuts are interesting. I literally have thousands of them this year. The ground is covered in places. No one wants them here except the squirrels. They are a lot of work to sort, husk and pick from the shells.

No one wants them here except the squirrels.
Do the walnut companies not buy them? Around here that's a thing in the fall, the walnut companies set up hulling stations and you can bring in your walnuts to sell them. When I was a kid, I used to make a small fortune every year off the walnuts. (Of course, to me in those days, anything over ten bucks was a fortune.)

Do the walnut companies not buy them? Around here that's a thing in the fall, the walnut companies set up hulling stations and you can bring in your walnuts to sell them. When I was a kid, I used to make a small fortune every year off the walnuts. (Of course, to me in those days, anything over ten bucks was a fortune.)
We have no walnut buyers or hulling stations. I wish we did.👍🏼

Black walnut trees are very common in my area. I’ve cut and milled them for almost 40 yrs to make gunstocks. This is a stock I’m working on now. It was from a large crotch and was cut in 2017. No stain, just a little water to show the actual color.View attachment 2170738View attachment 2170739
beautiful wood. I was told walnut root is excellent for carving.

When my grandpa was young he said they would gather a bunch of those green walnuts, put them in a gunny sack, tie a rope to it and drag it behind their horses for a mile or two down to the creek. This would rough up the hulls. When they got to the creek, they would find a still pool, toss the sack in, and some chemical in the hulls would stun the fish and cause them to float up, and they would gather them up. (Probably illegal these days, but that really does work like he said.)

When my grandpa was young he said they would gather a bunch of those green walnuts, put them in a gunny sack, tie a rope to it and drag it behind their horses for a mile or two down to the creek. This would rough up the hulls. When they got to the creek, they would find a still pool, toss the sack in, and some chemical in the hulls would stun the fish and cause them to float up, and they would gather them up. (Probably illegal these days, but that really does work like he said.)
Also soak the black walnut husk in water.
Spray the ground and every earthworm will crawl up to the surface.
Catch, rinse, or they'll die.
Here is the lowdown on the toxin.

"Black walnuts produce a chemical called juglone, which occurs naturally in all parts of the tree, especially in the buds, nut hulls, and roots. The leaves and stems contain smaller quantities of juglone, which is leached into the soil after they fall."

Thanks for that info pepperj. I never really researched it, and Grandpa just called it an 'OIT' (Old Indian Trick) I suppose he can say that without offending anybody cause those folks were his ancestors, haha!

"Black walnuts produce a chemical called juglone, which occurs naturally in all parts of the tree, especially in the buds, nut hulls, and roots. The leaves and stems contain smaller quantities of juglone, which is leached into the soil after they fall."
That's why you can't plant much of anything near a black walnut and expect it to grow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back