Walled Cemeteries

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of cemeteries in my area have OLD STONE cut outside walls. I think back in the 1840's or even before have fantastic walls :) Here is another one i just discovered another one Last Sunday !!! in a couple of these pictures are some head stones that are hard to read. Anyone know of a good way to make them clean and readable ?

H.jpg
Haug1.jpg

A lot of cemeteries in my area have OLD STONE cut outside walls. I think back in the 1840's or even before have fantastic walls :) Here is another one i just discovered another one Last Sunday !!! in a couple of these pictures are some head stones that are hard to read. Anyone know of a good way to make them clean and readable ?

View attachment 2140888View attachment 2140889
History, in all its wondrous forms, is so interesting and exciting….the old grave stones/markers are part of that wonder… This may seem oversimplified, but the use of bleach or even a degreaser will help clean stone/cement etc…. On SOME stone you can use muriatic acid, definitely use it on cement…but know what the stone is before using, as it can oxidize and cause other issues… *Quick Note, I would NOT use muriatic acid on limestone or marble, no, no no! Always follow manufacturer’s instructions and guideline?
Utilizing bleach has been a great go to for me and if the surface is too caked, then a degreaser applied before a quick brushing will do wonders as well.👍🏼

If you want to go all the way, pressure washer and use of one of the aforementioned products. If you happen to do some cleaning, please take a before and after so we can all see the greatness. Best of luck to you!

BernitUp Thanks very much !!! I have always been led to believe pressure washing can damage the stones

I was told pressure washing the stones can damage them !

I was told pressure washing the stones can damage them !
I would avoid it if the stone is damaged, cracked or crumbling, the pressure will just enlarge the cracks and cause more damage…. Best to stick with a brush and bleach or degreaser at that point. I have pressure washed some stone that is softer and the pressure can take a thin layer off or create a small pockmark effect that leads to a gritty and crumbling look…. Don’t want any of that😵.

I go through a few of them, but the hand held brush one may use in a shower or bathtub is what I use. The handle on it is easy on the hands and they are a stiff bristle that really works for you. I also make use of bleach tablets, which allows me to make it a little stronger or weaker based on the volume of water/dilution. Years of accumulation and poor upkeep on those stones does make it more of a chore and requires more elbow grease… And when you find where a metal/iron sconce for flowers or some metal plaque that may no longer exist oxidized and left rust stains, then be prepared for a workout!😵

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back