Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg Cannon ball guy?

I thought it was scrap till we picked it up.. Nope.

Upvote 0
If its just the barrel why wouldnt it be legal.With guns,the frame of a gun is considered a gun.If it got changed,i have no idea.

Upvote 0
Have worked in and around the gun industry a big part of my life. In general, it is not illegal to own or posses such things. As stated above, the frame is usually the serial numbered part of the gun that has to be registered etc. A few exceptions, such as suppressors, etc. are restricted (without the proper permit to posses), but as a rule barrels or internals are just parts, not guns. Just a note; the new Sig P320 goes by the trigger group, and not the frame. You can buy the entire gun, and then additional kits (barrel, frame, and slide) to switch the trigger group between. This allows you to change size, and caliber without the hassle of buying multiple guns to own multiple calibers.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see more pics of it, but yes, it is legal to own a barrel as it is not in and of itself considered a firearm, so it's not controlled under the NFA. Where did you come across it? If it's in good serviceable condition it'll have some decent value.

Upvote 0
We have purchased naval gun barrels from scrap yards, 40mm usually, and made them into black powder muzzle loading cannon. All perfectly legal. Had a friend that used to take his cannon to all the local high school football games, and every time his guys made a touch down, he'd fire a blank out of his cannon. Can't hardly be more public than that, so yeah, you are legal, go ahead and build a cannon. However, breech loading cannon are frowned upon, I've met a couple of guys that owned them also.

Upvote 0
It's not illegal to own the frame of a gun either unless it's stollen or a full auto without a permit.

Upvote 0
DEFA 30 mm canon barrel. image.jpg

Upvote 0
image.jpg Kind. Of a big gun. That's a half.

Upvote 0
I would imagine that Collectors of Military Hardware would pay a fairly nice price for a decent DEFA Type 552 30mm Cannon Barrel. These were used on many Fighter and Bomber aircraft and especially on NATO aircraft including our' A-10 Warthogs.

Frank

Upvote 0
No my uncle who was 86 just passed over the year. I inherited a lot of very old intresting things. I could go on for many a "what is it " posts.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. For what it's worth I found a picture of complete gun. image.jpg Also I aplogize for upside down pics.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back