Virginia Beach Oceanfront 12 May 2013 and Beach Replenishment info

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started out a little further north from the "main' area of the VB oceanfront. Walked up and down between 42nd and 58th streets, both in the water and up in the damp areas. Found more targets in the damp than I did in the low spots and holes that were in the water over the 16 block walkabout. A majority of the targets came from further north along the beach and, coincidentally, the areas just past where they stopped laying sand from the beach replenishment this winter. Oceanfront has been producing some tgts this year but with all the new sand that was placed on the beach (15th to 58th I believe) it may be a while before the beach "opens" back up again for the really good stuff! Here are a few links and maps to beach replenishment projects in the area. Good info for those of us that live in the area and also good for those who come to the area for a vacation or a few days of hunting.

http://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/public-works/coastal/Documents/coastal-web-map-6-7-2011.pdf

http://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/public-works/coastal/Documents/beach-management-plan-4-2002-8-16-12.pdf

http://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/public-works/coastal/Documents/cxb-shoal-report-12-11.pdf

Hopefully these will help for some people, especially those from outside the area who like to come to hunt.

I have been using my excal 1000 with the new remote pinpoint mod (and new headphones) from OBN and I really am liking it more and more. I'm still a novice and have only been hunting in disc mode but I have found that using pinpoint has found more targets (obviously since you will hear all the iron tgts but I'm not digging all of them, just a few, especially on the days when the hunting is bleak) but the really nice thing is that it increases the signals or the sensitivity as the sides of the coil pick up signals in pinpoint that disc normally wouldn't sound off on unless the coil was directly over (or close to it depending on size of tgt). Had it happen numerous times during this hunt (and the following day in OV) where I would be swinging along and get a faint hit, usually to the outside edge of my swing. I'll stop, determine which side it came from (had to tell sometimes as you really can swing a bit faster in PP) then switch to disc and see if it's something I want to dig (and or to trace out it's size to make sure I'm not digging metal fencepoles or pipes...) than start scooping! I have also found that even with a good tgt, depending on size and position in the ground, there are times when disc won't catch it or it is a very weak or jumpy signal but after digging one scoop the sound will either get better, or worse, telling me to dig or not.

Again, I am still a novice compared to some of the jedi masters of detecting here, but I have found that while the PP mode may slow you down a bit more, I have found more than I normally would have and not just because of digging some of the ferrous tgts, but because of the increased sensitivity and depth, I'm able to get targets to either side of where I'm swinging that I might normally not have found. Gonna keep working at it and see how I keep doing with it. Joe (OBN) great job man on the mod, I really like it! Now, here is what I found over the 16 blocks and about 4 hours.

20130512_184802.jpg20130512_184929.jpg20130512_184918.jpg20130512_184813.jpg20130512_185052.jpg20130512_185057.jpg20130512_185026.jpg20130512_185032.jpg20130512_185038.jpg20130512_185016.jpg20130512_184842.jpg20130512_185147.jpg
The lump of grey metal looks like a piece of slag, or maybe something that just got eaten away. The gold lump is a piece of something brass that was melted. Found another pet tag and will attempt to contact the owner to return it. Just returned one to a neighbor last week who was thrilled to get the old tag back as it had belonged to her favorite cat who has been gone for a few years. Also want to make sure it was lost and not placed there maybe with the pet's ashes or anything like that. If that is the case, then back it will go on my next hunt in the same area. Thanks for looking, sorry it was so long winded but wanted to capture all the info on the hunt, the new mod on my excal and the beach replenishment that has or will take place in the VB/Norfolk area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Started out a little further north from the "main' area of the VB oceanfront. Walked up and down between 42nd and 58th streets, both in the water and up in the damp areas. Found more targets in the damp than I did in the low spots and holes that were in the water over the 16 block walkabout. A majority of the targets came from further north along the beach and, coincidentally, the areas just past where they stopped laying sand from the beach replenishment this winter. Oceanfront has been producing some tgts this year but with all the new sand that was placed on the beach (15th to 58th I believe) it may be a while before the beach "opens" back up again for the really good stuff! Here are a few links and maps to beach replenishment projects in the area. Good info for those of us that live in the area and also good for those who come to the area for a vacation or a few days of hunting.

http://www.vbgov.com/government/dep...oastal/Documents/coastal-web-map-6-7-2011.pdf

http://www.vbgov.com/government/dep...ents/beach-management-plan-4-2002-8-16-12.pdf

http://www.vbgov.com/government/dep.../coastal/Documents/cxb-shoal-report-12-11.pdf

Hopefully these will help for some people, especially those from outside the area who like to come to hunt.

I have been using my excal 1000 with the new remote pinpoint mod (and new headphones) from OBN and I really am liking it more and more. I'm still a novice and have only been hunting in disc mode but I have found that using pinpoint has found more targets (obviously since you will hear all the iron tgts but I'm not digging all of them, just a few, especially on the days when the hunting is bleak) but the really nice thing is that it increases the signals or the sensitivity as the sides of the coil pick up signals in pinpoint that disc normally wouldn't sound off on unless the coil was directly over (or close to it depending on size of tgt). Had it happen numerous times during this hunt (and the following day in OV) where I would be swinging along and get a faint hit, usually to the outside edge of my swing. I'll stop, determine which side it came from (had to tell sometimes as you really can swing a bit faster in PP) then switch to disc and see if it's something I want to dig (and or to trace out it's size to make sure I'm not digging metal fencepoles or pipes...) than start scooping! I have also found that even with a good tgt, depending on size and position in the ground, there are times when disc won't catch it or it is a very weak or jumpy signal but after digging one scoop the sound will either get better, or worse, telling me to dig or not.

Again, I am still a novice compared to some of the jedi masters of detecting here, but I have found that while the PP mode may slow you down a bit more, I have found more than I normally would have and not just because of digging some of the ferrous tgts, but because of the increased sensitivity and depth, I'm able to get targets to either side of where I'm swinging that I might normally not have found. Gonna keep working at it and see how I keep doing with it. Joe (OBN) great job man on the mod, I really like it! Now, here is what I found over the 16 blocks and about 4 hours.

View attachment 795461View attachment 795462View attachment 795463View attachment 795464View attachment 795465View attachment 795466View attachment 795467View attachment 795468View attachment 795469View attachment 795470View attachment 795471View attachment 795472

The lump of grey metal looks like a piece of slag, or maybe something that just got eaten away. The gold lump is a piece of something brass that was melted. Found another pet tag and will attempt to contact the owner to return it. Just returned one to a neighbor last week who was thrilled to get the old tag back as it had belonged to her favorite cat who has been gone for a few years. Also want to make sure it was lost and not placed there maybe with the pet's ashes or anything like that. If that is the case, then back it will go on my next hunt in the same area. Thanks for looking, sorry it was so long winded but wanted to capture all the info on the hunt, the new mod on my excal and the beach replenishment that has or will take place in the VB/Norfolk area.

Not sure what's wrong with your Pics Doc but I wish I could see them :(

Woah! Don't know what happened there but I have fixed it and they should be good now.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back