Attachments

• PA020042.JPG
    PA020042.JPG
    781.3 KB · Views: 134
  • PA020043.JPG
    PA020043.JPG
    734.3 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0
Cres....it appears this item doesnt have an inset back,which I would think a bolt cover would have?I dunno?

CBG,that is/was exactly my thinking as well....never having seen a Colonial rossette atached to a period Bridal,I digressed.
Great conversation folks....THANKS!!!!

Generally speaking, the bolts were countersunk into the bedpost and were used to hold the siderail of the bed on. The covers were merely a decorative appliance used to conceal the hole.

Upvote 0
100% late 1700's boss. They seems to be the most common style that I have dug at colonial sites. Bill D is correct.

O.K.,well,are they boss's or Rossettes?There is a difference....

Upvote 0
O.K.,well,are they boss's or Rossettes?There is a difference....

I know that these things look like bit bosses, and I also know that they look like bolt covers. From what I gather, all these bit bosses were a cast copper alloy. If you look at the one posted by the OP, it looks like it is a skin over an iron inset. I am not familiar with bosses of that archetecture, hence I said it was a bolt cover.

Kuger .. take a look at this photo . shows the boss pretty well! Who is the boss, anyway???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-06 at 9.58.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-06 at 9.58.53 PM.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
No kidding Rob!Bill's book shows two,what I see as Boss's,and the book says one is a Boss(goes on a bit)and the other is a rosette(leather decoration...usually on a bridal/head stall)....???I would like to see a Colonial Bridal with one of these functioning as a rosette

Upvote 0
There was a nice discussion on this thread a while back about colonial rosettes. I recently ran across a website that has a number of pics and dates for examples that have been recovered and thought some might like to check it out.

Diagnostic Artifacts - Small Finds - Bridle Bosses
Bill,I beleive we just found out the confusion.........just as I originally stated...the item in question looked like a Boss.....not a Rossette........the ones in your link are BOSS'........are you confusing the two?

Upvote 0
There was a nice discussion on this thread a while back about colonial rosettes. I recently ran across a website that has a number of pics and dates for examples that have been recovered and thought some might like to check it out.

Diagnostic Artifacts - Small Finds - Bridle Bosses

That is a great site .. I referenced it in a previous post in this thread.
However, I am still trying to understand what appears to be a steel inset in the OP's item.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back