Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Gang, I went back to the area where I found the NC Button, and found the strangest tiny handle. It's less than an inch long and appears to be made out of some type of bone, but it could be Bakelite. I think the shaft is metal. I found it within 2 feet from the keyhole and the brass buckle, which I'm assuming is a Vic. lady's choker buckle (or the likes) because it is so delicate. Also, were 'notch' nails always used in horseshoes? Any help with this tiny handle would certainly be appreciated. Breezie

Attachments

• Handle1.jpg
    Handle1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 391
  • Handle2.jpg
    Handle2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 402
  • Handle3.jpg
    Handle3.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 378
  • Handle4.jpg
    Handle4.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 397
  • Handle5.jpg
    Handle5.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 398
  • Handle6.jpg
    Handle6.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 392
Hey Breezie, I may be, and probably am, wrong with my guess on your little handle item, but it look to be off of an old pencil sharpener to me. Back before the electric ones. :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Breezie,I beleive your "key hole",piece is off of a (SP)Bustiye....that spelling is way off.....what women wore around there mid section and had these attachments up the back

Upvote 0
nebstater said:
Hey Breezie, I may be, and probably am, wrong with my guess on your little handle item, but it look to be off of an old pencil sharpener to me. Back before the electric ones. :laughing7:

Nebstater, I think you're exactly right! There were quite a few vintage pencil sharpeners that were made of Bakelite, and then there were those made of metal that had Bakelite handles. Thanks for the great ID! Breezie

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hooked On Phonics!!!! :laughing7:Treading on shaky ground there I was!!! :wink: :laughing7:

Upvote 0
I know you have green checked already but the little handle could have been on an old fishing reel. Tony

Upvote 0
Tony in SC said:
I know you have green checked already but the little handle could have been on an old fishing reel. Tony

I agree.
Most likely made of bakelite.

Vintage-Fishing-Gear-Bakelite-Handle-Reel-0610-de.jpg

Best,
Scott

Upvote 0
This i found last year and it came off a old flour sifter that fell apart after i dug it.

G1

Attachments

• P1070104.JPG
    P1070104.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 322
  • P1070105.JPG
    P1070105.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 350
Upvote 0
garter belts used similar clips to hold up womens panty hose (stockings) as well * ----the one item with the "lettering" on it might be small part of a brass hamonica reed

Upvote 0
garter belts used similar clips to hold up womens panty hose (stockings) as well * ----the one item with the "lettering" on it might be small part of a brass hamonica reed

The item with "lettering" (PAT. APR. 13, 1868), is a small adjustment strap buckle. The slots are where the fabric strap laced through, to allow slide adjustment to the length of the strap.

Harmonica reeds are an entire different animal. :wink: Certainly have dug a pile of those from sites over the years.

Upvote 0
Congrats on the bustier ID. I, for one, am not familar with those clasps by sight - but learned at an early age how they worked by feel.

Upvote 0
Yup, soon as I saw it....little baitcasting fishing handle. The older ones were held in place by a pin and rivet type end, and were notorious for breaking off.

Upvote 0
Stegner said:
Congrats on the bustier ID. I, for one, am not familar with those clasps by sight - but learned at an early age how they worked by feel.

:sign10:

You can't be as old as me! :laughing7:

Best,
Scott

Upvote 0
RickyD said:
Yup, soon as I saw it....little baitcasting fishing handle. The older ones were held in place by a pin and rivet type end, and were notorious for breaking off.

Yep, and the old ones were just a spool with one small wooden handle, way before plastic. Tony

Upvote 0
AU24K said:
Tony in SC said:

I agree.
Most likely made of bakelite.

Best,
Scott

Tony, Yes, You are exactly right on the fishing reel handle. After a better look at it, it is too small for a pencil sharpener handle. Most of the sharpener handles were not shaped with a waistline like this one. :thumbsup: Tony on the ID and AU24K for the perfect ID pic.

Now, as far as the bustier removing experience, I'll bypass that discussion! :laughing7: :laughing7:

Thanks again, Breezie

Upvote 0
Tony in SC said:
RickyD said:

Yep, and the old ones were just a spool with one small wooden handle, way before plastic. Tony
And the word "backlash control" hadn't been invented yet.

Upvote 0
So...pencil sharpener handle, fishing reel handle, and now i'm going to throw in peppercorn grinder handle...just to be awkward! :laughing9:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back