Very odd relic found in civil war camp today- (powder can cap)

U

umrgolf

This relic is Tombac. The front looks like a spun 1700's button....... but has a threaded back?? and rope border looking patern :icon_scratch: :help:

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

Re: Very odd relic found in civil war camp today

Looks like a lid to a powder can

Upvote 0

creskol said:
Looks like a lid to a powder can

Nice ID, thanks a lot.. I just googled it that's what it is.... Civil War era you think? It was smack dab in the middle of the camp ive been hunting about 20 feet from a kepi letter A today

Upvote 0

Or a hip flask cap.

110644895185.jpg

Upvote 0
Re: Very odd relic found in civil war camp today- (powder flask cap)

I don't think that it's a hip flask, as their caps are primarily internally threaded to screw on. This cap is externally threaded to screw in, which is more in keeping with a powder can.

Upvote 0

Jeff,

I am going with powder can top to just because it is very close to the hundreds I have dug over the years. Mine are found primarily in mid 1860's, 70's, & 80's sites. The difference in mine also are they only have about 3 threads on the average. I would think that because of your location and a different supplier that might account for that. Unfortunately I can't find the boxes I have of them right now but I do have some pics. of some previous digs.

Hope this helps.
IM

Powder can with screw in stopper
E-mailIMG_0522-1.jpg

14 screw in stoppers from one of my outings
E-mailIMG_0564-1.jpg

1850's push in stoppers
E-mailDuaneB6-7-09002.jpg

Push in side
E-mailDuaneB6-7-09003.jpg

Upvote 0

Ironman! said:
Jeff,

I am going with powder can top to just because it is very close to the hundreds I have dug over the years. Mine are found primarily in mid 1860's, 70's, & 80's sites. The difference in mine also are they only have about 3 threads on the average. I would think that because of your location and a different supplier that might account for that. Unfortunately I can't find the boxes I have of them right now but I do have some pics. of some previous digs.

Hope this helps.
IM

Powder can with screw in stopper
E-mailIMG_0522-1.jpg

14 screw in stoppers from one of my outings
E-mailIMG_0564-1.jpg

1850's push in stoppers
E-mailDuaneB6-7-09002.jpg

Push in side
E-mailDuaneB6-7-09003.jpg

Yep, :thumbsup: he isnt kidding when he says,"hundreds",either!!!I have found nearly 100, myself,but cant say I have seen one quite like the one posted?You I.M?

Upvote 0
Yep powder can cap. Have not dug hundreds of them(wish), but I have dug about 10. It is a good indicator you are in a great spot!

Upvote 0
Just had to check this post out, anytime you have a question about something, it's gotta be interesting.
And I learned!
Carl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back