Valuables Not In Reichsbank ,Nazi gold

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
ran across declassified docs @ the National Archives titled 940.55 Valuables Not In Reichsbank
some pgs are in German
this link is about the trunks in Buchenwald quarry
map of quarry & cache sites

I looked into that quarry and found the article below

EXCAVATIONS IN THE BUCHENWALD QUARRY
Assessment of the results

After the liberation of the Buchenwald concentration camp on April 11, 1945, the US Army found large quantities
of SS loot from the concentration camps in two of the air raid shelters: rings, candlesticks, watches and cutlery
made of precious metals, but also gold teeth belonging to murdered prisoners. Two German political prisoners pointed
out the two depots in the southern wall of the quarry to the responsible officer of military intelligence when the
1st US Army took over the camp at the end of April. They were then opened and at the beginning of May 1945 21 tons
of valuables were brought to Frankfurt am Main, sorted there and shipped to the USA. If possible, they were to be
returned to their owners or surviving relatives. The US Army had the entrances to the two bunkers filled in again.
The former quarry later became part of the protected monument ensemble of the GDR's Buchenwald National Memorial,
but remained inaccessible to visitors.

you will have to translate to english,I couldn't get the translated pg to work

the whole file is an interesting read, wish I could get the German translated
links in the doc that mention other areas, some of the last pgs have follow up
like where file was sent and to who.
I haven't looked so don't know if any of that treasure was found

Nazi Gold: The Merkers Mine Treasure​

US Army Footage of Nazi Gold Found in a Mine in Merkers, Germany​

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back