vacant lot - clean up begins!

Windbreaker

Jan 10, 2008
Hawkinsville, Georgia
Detector(s) used
MPx & BH - Challanger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received permission to hunt a vacant lot just down the street from where I live. There was a house on the lot @1900, so I am excited about the possibilities, the house was removed a few years back.

I started randomly scanning the grounds much like the eratic path a slug leaves behind while looking for ... well whatever slugs look for...and then surveyed the lot and surmised the location of the house, and started hunting where I thought the back door would have been many hits on the detector and I dug a lot of "stuff" relics? HA discarded metal:

bit of decorative metal fencing, stereo speaker grill, wheel off of a wagon, truck door handle, nails, tin cans (beer), a (few onions bottom left he he) and two wheat pennies 1917 and 1942, and 3 memorial pennies, I will go back again!

I also met a new hunting buddy Jim, his tip of the day was that I dig only repeatable signals helped that last 30 min or so that I was there.

Attachments

• vacant lot.jpg
    vacant lot.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,376
Upvote 0
LOL....love the onions. Sounds like you had fun. :)

HH,
Pepper

BE PERSISTANT and the good stuff will show.Youre on the right track, keep at it.Good luck!!!!

I found a lot kinda like that too. What is left of the foundation is still there, the rest of it is piled up 20 yards away, plus there is some sort of concrete wall that appears to have made a separate grassy area next to a driveway. I found a 1937 Wheatie there and I suppose there is probably a silver coin or two somewhere on that lot. But I'm gonna have to go through a lot of junk before I find any.

That's the neat thing about this hobby...one never knows what he might find.

Ray

another day and only had an hour or so to spend b4 I had to go to work and this is what came out of the ground:
small compact (wife says pill box), heavy fishing sinker, a lighter, 4 memorial pennies, 22 shell casing, and assorted metal trash and drinktwist-off tops that ring true "dime" signals.

Attachments

• vacant lot-2.jpg
    vacant lot-2.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,080
Spent another 2 hours at the vacant lot this morning waiting for the gas company to fill my bottles, and decided to use my Bounty Hunter "Challanger" basic detector today.. started hitting right off 1993 memorial penny followed by 1962-d, 1946 nickle, and 1962-d penny
ATTACH]

also found a
ATTACH]
Georgia school patrol badge - missing clasp, old car and marble (first for me)
ATTACH]
and all the other stuff!

Attachments

• vacant lot-car.jpg
    vacant lot-car.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 74
  • vacant lot-cost-to-dig.jpg
    vacant lot-cost-to-dig.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 819
wierd, guess i did something wrong

Attachments

• vacant lot-car.jpg
    vacant lot-car.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 802
    13.3 KB · Views: 802
  • vacant lot-5.jpg
    vacant lot-5.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 797
  • vanant lot-4.jpg
    vanant lot-4.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 812
    13.3 KB · Views: 808
  • vacant lot-car.jpg
    vacant lot-car.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 817
  • vacant lot-5.jpg
    vacant lot-5.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 814
  • vacant lot-3.jpg
    vacant lot-3.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 818
Your new partner said only dig the repeatable signals and that is a good tactic if you have exclusivity to the site. This is what I have done to great sucess on sites like this over the years: turn discrimination way up and cherry-pick only the best of the best signals first...then go back over and over with lower and lower discrimination until you are left with only the most hidden (obscured by ferrous metals close by) or low feedback items...sometimes you can really get the good stuff right away and pull things like silver out of there very quickly (always the chance that someone else shows up at any time) and that really keeps you interested in a trashy site like that. You will find that even when you get down to where you are using very low discrimination that the keepers keep popping out. Good luck with that site and try to wear it out before others latch-on to your site!

On my way home today I decided to stop and hit the vacant lot for a few min. I turned my sensativity all the way up and discriminate all the way up! I hit the back of the lot and got a confusing signal-tone so I dug! The first plug had tone and still the confusing tone in the hole, so i decided to find what was in the plug Wheat penny, rewind and pull plug #2 - another wheatie and now a bigger hole (slightly). Signal in the hole still wierd - next from dirt in bottom of hole 1943 "P" nickle that was registering as a nail. Then more dirt and another wheatie, then another! and another! then another 1943 "P" nickle followed by a 1940 quarter! Now a silent hole! WOW I like it! all in the first hole and in about 10-15 min. @ 8 feet away and second hole provided more wheat pennies!

Pennies are cleaning as I cant see dates other than 32, 43, 45.

Attachments

• vacant lot-4bacl.jpg
    vacant lot-4bacl.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 505
  • vacant lot-4.jpg
    vacant lot-4.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 502
I'd definetley keep hitting that spot WB.Nice pocket spill too.....Congrat's on the silver as well.HH!!

Alright. Keep going back until the signals are all gone. Then you know you have it all.

It was fun to see you digging that empty lot up...empty lots are pretty promising...
I seems to be excited eventhough I was not there with you...haha...

Congrats on the silver, and I personally love the truck very much...

Hit Hard Man!! Find More & More!!

THanks for sharing
- James-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back