V Nickel Coin Spill !!!

TxSchelter

Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was out detecting new spots where the cowboys shot at the indians.
We were at an old school house circa 1900 and found a coin spill!
Found all these coins in the same hole and other treasure at various old farmhouses.
Got a few shotgun shells, some old chain, tack, a wagon step, a piece of jewelry from an indian mission, a snap button that i could not identify, an old sugar spoon and other old treasure.
The spill had V nickels back to 1883 (the rarer one that doesnt say CENTS under the V), 2 Buffalo's, a 1898 Indian, and a few wheaties back to 1915.
Not only my first V but got a rare one and it wasnt alone! My first indian also! Cant wait to go back to these spots what an exciting day!

HH...

okdig11.jpgokdig10.jpgokdig12.jpgokdig8.jpgokdig9.jpgokdig7.jpgokdig6.jpgokdig5.jpgokdig3.jpgokdig4.jpgokdig1.jpgokdig2.jpgokdig13.jpgokdig14.jpgokdig15.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 15
Enough people gold plated these 1883 "no cents " nickels - to pass them off as 5$ gold pieces , that the mint had to redesign the coin
adding the denomination later that same year - ( paraphrased from the "Redbook" of U.S. coins ) Nice finds !

Nice finds! Good spot ya got there!

Sweet nickle spill!

Wow, that's a great spot and great finds, nice saves!

Nice finds. Can't wait to find my first old coin.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Do you know what the long slender item next to the button in the picture with the shotgun head stamps is? If you don't you might be surprised to know. I found one took a while but I found out what it was. If you don't know what is your best guess? if you get it wrong I'll tell you what it is.

Nice, I haven't found any V nickels and most of the nickels I found are Jeffersons'.

The 1883 with cents is actually worth more then the one without cents, but it is nice to find one either way.

I couldn't see your dates, but the key dates are 1885, 1886 and 1912s. The 1883 "with cents" is really only a semi-key.

bigred,

I was thinking it was a hair clip? Am i right?!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Pointman, key or semi key i was happy to score a "rarer" one! I have had a streak lately of getting the right year but not right mint! Like the 1909 wheatie i dug the other day, boy was i excited to get it home and clean it up (and go figure not a rare one). Hence the name RARE!!

Thank you all for your comments!

Nice Finds! It's that kind of stuff that make me wish I bought my detector during the cold months so I could be out finding good stuff instead of learning how to use it right now :).

Enough people gold plated these 1883 "no cents " nickels - to pass them off as 5$ gold pieces , that the mint had to redesign the coin
adding the denomination later that same year - ( paraphrased from the "Redbook" of U.S. coins ) Nice finds !
I have one I inherited from my gramps that still has a bit of gold plating left on it!

Ya know, there's nothing quite like the feeling of opening up a plug and seeing it full of coins. Any coins will do, but when it's a spill from a century or more ago, it is particular sweet!

Very nice indeed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back