Fisher CZ70, Fisher 1280X

Attachments

• v nickel 1.jpg
    v nickel 1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 698
  • v nickel 2.jpg
    v nickel 2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 678
Sweet. I've got a couple I might try it with. I can't really tell was the nickle a red color before you zapped it? What setup did you use?

Ian

I definitely would have left it the way it was.

The photo revealed a reddish color, but it actually looks as it should. Maybe enhancing the photo using Kodak software caused it. Perhaps leaving it as it was would have been the best idea, but I was curious to see what electrolysis would produce. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Another risky venture in experimenting with the weird science of electrolysis!! Thanks for the comments!!

After a closer inspection, I did notice a slight reddish tone against a white background, not nearly as noticeable in comparison to the photo, however. I let a 1946 nickel fizz for five minutes and it didn't show any signs of discolorization. There might be a difference in metal composition between the two coins due to their dates. I'm using a 12 volt, 1200 mA setup, which is high in mA, but has worked with good results thus far. I include a mixture of salt and lemon juice that seem to help in the process.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back